1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rolling Stone's Top 50 Bassists of All Time

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by AndyRickie, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Interesting to see the way Rolling Stone have shifted with the times on this. Far more about range of approaches than a traditional idea of "the bassist". I imagine there'll be a minor riot on the forums here when people see where Chris Squire ranked...

The 50 Greatest Bassists of All Time

2. “I don’t want none of them damn polls. I know what kind of bass player I am.” - Charles Mingus

3. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux

Apr 11, 2018
    Great players, terrible order :D

Sklar, Spalding, Levin, Pino, Geddy all too low

Lesh, Lemmy, McVie, Gordon, Hook too high

Scott LaFaro, Gary Peacock, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Garrison, Paul Jackson, Marcus Miller, Dave Holland all MIA

4. I like the justifications in the synopses, but it does read like someone made a list of "most googled bass players in the last six months". Interesting how many of them were also good at arranging too.

pc, Sholmer, GalleyCat and 7 others like this.
  5. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I'm glad Jamerson is #1, but it's a shame Bob Babbit is not even on the list.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Clickbait is a wonderful thing...

Yonni, greykatz, nostyle and 37 others like this.
  7. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Consider the source. I think the last issue I read was the one with the HS Thompson piece about Evel Knievel’s Snake River Canyon jump. I can’t imagine anyone takes it too seriously.

8. THIS LIST IS GARBAGE!!! How do they leave out Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Christian McBride, Michael Manring, Anthony Jackson, Chuck Rainey, John Patitucci, Rocco Prestia, Billy Sheehan, Nathan East, and Edgar Meyer, just to mention a few!!!
    Rant over.

Jinobass1, gcb, PNorth and 72 others like this.
  9. Dean Felber!

sneha1965 likes this.
  10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    What a waste of my time. Worse list I’ve ever seen. What a joke!!:rollno::rollno::rollno:

11. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    It's from the Rolling Stone- so no surprises.

chuckNC, plangy, gozbass and 20 others like this.
  12. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I remember ranking rock bands and baseball teams and Playboy hotties and the like when I was a kid, I thought all that stuff stopped once one grew up.

Crackhead666, Yonni, JPDsma and 15 others like this.
  13. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    Seeing the list, I take “Top” to mean most influential, not necessarily the most talented - although it’s hard to argue with Jamerson being #1 by either measure.

14. My bassist can beat up your bassist.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi3.cpcache.com%2Fproduct%2F583035053%2Fmy_dad_can_beat_up_your_dad_mug.jpg

Novarocker, SaintB, Sholmer and 16 others like this.
  15. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    And Alain Caron, Kim Stone and on and on. What a joke!

john akers, Sholmer and Gizmot like this.
  16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

And this list matters because....why? Who even reads RS at this point?

17. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm actually kind of impressed. I would have never guessed that anyone at Rolling Stone actually knew the names of 50 bass players.

18. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    At least they got number one right.

19. Big Bob played the Scorpio!

Edward Galm likes this.
  20. Rocco, Chuck Rainey, Marcus Miller? They’re talkin’ Tina Weymouth, and Duff.
    Soul Vaccination, you could teach a guy off the street that song in 10 seconds.
    But the bass line on Psycho Killer, You better pack a lunch buddy boy, that’s the real stuff.

JPDsma, paujones, Schurger and 4 others like this.