1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Rolling" the edges of a finished neck - help or links

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheSuzie, Feb 28, 2006.

1. The more I read here the more I think about doing a bass from scratch if I ever have the space to work. So much beautiful work and so much experience here.

Mods, I hope this is appropriate for this forum.

cut to the chase, Suzie...OK When I install a replacement neck (or buy a new instrument), I sometimes find that the edge of the neck feels too sharp, intrusive or even painful after playing for a while. I'm not talking about fret edges but the edge of the fingerboard itself. I know that over the years I have read about "rolling" the edge of a neck but I dont know how this is done, especially on a finished fretted neck. If anyone can explain how to do this or give me a good link about this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    S

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I've never encountered that problem, but some careful work with a fret beveling file (something akin to this) would give you a nice angle that would likely be easier on your fingers. My only concern would be filing off a bit of finish along the edge (if it's a finished fingerboard) but you could touch that up without too much trouble.

Something else to try would be to use a hard metal shaft (like the shaft of a large screwdriver) and run it along the edges to round out the corner a bit. I'm sure somebody probably has a "correct" technique for this job, but I'm all about improvisation.

-Nate

3. There was just a thread about this somewhere here. I tried it on my SX jazz. Basically, it involved CAREFULLY scraping the edge with a blade to shave a bit off and then finish sanding (low to high grit, followed by steel wool, 0000 or finer). I wasn't too careful (hey, it's a cheap bass) and slipped when distracted, nicking the neck a bit. If you're careful, it can have amazing results.