1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Romanian Flatback Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by turf3, Jan 19, 2012.

1. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi, I just bought this bass and wonder if anyone knows anything about it.

"Euro Antique"
    "Made in Reghin Romania"
    "Imported expressly for Twin City Music, Inc. Providence, R.I."

All solid wood, violin corners, heavy as heck, big smooth sound. The C-bouts are longer than most basses. The upper bout a little smaller and the lower bout a little larger. The scroll is somewhat larger than usual. The back is four pieces of plain wood, the ribs a little figured. The angled facet at the top of the back has very little angle, making the ribs at the neck joint almost full depth. Either side of the neck joint has a strip of black wood between the heel of the neck and the beginning of the rib.

I understand it probably comes from one of a number of factories in Romania, but I was wondering if anyone connected with the music store in question would know more details, or maybe someone has another one with the same private label. Even just an idea of how old it is.

Thanks.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Why not give them a call. Than let us know.

Twin City Music Inc
    Call: 1-401-943-2622

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    ...and post pics.

4. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi everyone, here are some measurements:

Front length 45"
    Back length 44 1/2 excluding "button"
    Upper bout W 18 3/4
    Lower bout W 26 3/4
    C bout width 14 1/4
    C bout length 11
    String L 41 1/4
    Bridge ht 6 1/2
    Overstand (I think I am measuring this correctly) 1"

Having trouble with pictures, will post them when able.

5. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Pix

Attached Files:

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    morepix

Attached Files:

7. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    lastpic

Attached Files:

8. Nice lines. Why is the bridge cranked up so high?

9. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Great looking bass. I don't think it's old, for a few reasons:

The label states an antique finish;
    It doesn't, as far as I can see, show much wear, and;
    The tuners look to be fairly recent, with no obvious signs that they're replacements.

It's probably a good idea to contact the importer as they might even be able to tell you the month they got the instrument!

One area where there does seem to be wear (or damage) is at the break in the top of the back - it looks like two seams are distressed or separating. Maybe worth consulting a luthier about...

Cheers,

Paul

10. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Hi,

1) The string height is pretty much spot-on with this bridge height. I was actually under the impression that a bridge height 6 1/2" is kind of standard. There is a large gap at the adjusters; maybe this is what you meant by "the bridge cranked up so high". I don't have any history on the bass. I would guess that either too much wood was cut off when adjusters were installed on an originally non-adjustable bridge?

2) I was figuring it at 10-20 years old, given the amount of wear. The S/N is 920xx, and I wondered if it might be "1992". So I was really just wondering whether it was 2 years or 20, never had any idea that it was any older than that.

3) There are two old seam separations in the 4 piece back, both of which are repaired and tight.

Thanks.