Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ron blake basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, May 4, 2002.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    here's a different one...kinda reminds me of d.d. verni's old bass (the overkill guy). every time i see it, i say to myself.....you know, with a through neck and a contoured body...this thing would be smokin'. personally, i really can't stand ed roman, but i have a lot of respect for ron blake's experience as a luthier...nice guy, too. he was the guy that carved all of the scrollwork and did a lot of the neck work in carl thompson's shop. what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think it would be a really cool novelty type bass. looks like a big ol' bug...reminds me of my triumph t509 speed triple :D

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    by the way, that's a bolt on fretless...with a claro walnut top with ebony and dyed korina (for that binding type effect). not sure what the center body wood is. looks like mahogany, but that's speculation.

3. I kinda like the shape, in an odd way. The wood's gorgeous, of course! :)

Mike

4. Nice looks, almost like a puzzle piece body shape, wood looks very classy - I really like the binding effect.

Don't know Ron Blake - where is he now?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dig it! I think that it would look really nice as a 5er. Though it DOES still look excellent as a 4 banger. For some reason, I think the flow would be off if it had frets. Anyone else get that vibe? Anyway, I think that it's a fine axe. I'd play it in an instant.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you did what? is that your design, brendan? ron did say that some guy commisioned a bass and drew a body shape out and that was it. but yeah, i get what you mean about the fretless five string. i was kinda thinking mebbe a fretted 6, though...through neck, contoured body...

ron blake, by the way is the in-house luthier at ed roman's world class guitars, and also, so ya know, they're called r+b basses (for roman and blake). i think it looks kind of like a mutated warwick thumb bass...i guess you could say it is grotesquely elegant...and though i cringe to say it.....it would look pretty sweet with a bc rich widow style headstock... ;-)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I meant dig. I dig it. I was in no way affiliated with that bass, even though it IS cool. Change to orginal post imminent.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, it IS cool. too bad you have to talk to ed roman to spec one out, though...he's loud and he talks fast...and he thinks that everyone who is not him is an idiot. oh well...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, for a slice of that bass action, one might be tempted to put up with him. I know I might brave the verbal abuse to get me one of those.

That bass as a fretless 5 or 6? That's something to consider!

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yesh it is...

that bass is 2k...whether you want a 4, 5, 6, fretted or fretless, neck through or bolt on. but it's just for building the bass...you pick out the bridge, elex, tuners, pre-, and other assorted hardware and add that to the cost of the bass. doesn't seem too bad...and the build time, ed said, wouldn't exceed 5 months. and that would be for a crazy project. i've seen some ron blake's other work, and it seems to be well built. it's just such an unorthodox body shape...man, fonky :D

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Unorthodox? The problem here is? :D

Now I'm GASing for that in a lined fretless 5er...oh, the GAS of it all...

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sorry about the acid reflux, there, dude....my bad ;) and, i do agree....unorthodox is cool, but see...my purchases have to go through my wife first, so she has to approve...and she said it looks like a spider...and she hates spiders :rolleyes: heck, she said my thumb bass looked a spoon once...and then she called it a boat paddle! had to spank her for that crap!