Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Brendle's new record

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, May 18, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Have you heard it? Like it? Recommend?

I don't know anything by Mr. Brendle, but if it's worth a shot...

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I haven't heard this record yet, but I've heard others (which feature Frank Kimbrough as well). Ron's a great player, his website should have links to soundfiles.

I met Ron about 20 years ago at the Charlie Haden masterclass at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, we got to hang out and play a lot. The music is well worth checking out.

4. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
  5. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    FYI, I ordered 'Photograph' just now. Heard bits of 'ramblin' and 'passin by'. Mucho bueno, if the rest of the CD is like this, I say bonus!

6. Rons a great guy, He lives in my city and I have had a lesson or two from him.

7. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Hey Ed, you out there?

I've listened to this a bunch of times now and dig it quite a bit. Ramblin' is my favorite right now, very funky, what a great feel with the minimal instrumentation. Sometimes it's hard to hear during Ron's soloing, I don't know if it's the recording or my system.

I worked outside last Saturday and the cd went around 3 times before i was done. Mr. Kimbrough on piano is brilliant, what a wonderful player, just fabulous voicings and ideas.

Thanks for letting us know about the recording.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yeah, I'm around.

Vis a vis the "low" volume on bass solos, there are a lot of things at play. But it may be, depending on how much straight ahead jazz type music you listen to, the bass "sits" in a different place in this music as opposed to a lot of pop/rock etc. I haven't heard Ron in person in about 20 years, but my best recollection is that he was getting a bigger sound than me.

Frank Kimbrough is indeed bad.

9. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have too little of this kind of music. Care to suggest anything else in this vein?

I really like the funky types of tunes with this or similar instrumentation.

10. Just ordered "Photograph" (and "Here") from CDBaby -

Ed, thanks for the "heads-up"…

- Wil

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Here's another one...
    in JAZZTIMES, no less.

Ya gotta love the tag line, "...offers outstanding, unpredictable music."