Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Broder (Royce) and Karl Alvarez appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by user, Nov 26, 2003.

1. user

user

Oct 26, 2003
    Chicago
    Does anybody appreciate these great underrated and often overlooked bassists? Ron Royce from Coroner and Karl Alvarez from Descendents/ALL?

2. Karl definately has the goods. He's a talented songwriter and a capable bassist.

3. Capable? Heh.. that's kinda like saying Tiger Woods is a capable golfer! ;)
    Seriously, Karl is one of my biggest influences and inspirations. Some of his bass lines still make my head spin, not so much because they're difficult to play (they are!) but because they just come out of this weird place that I'll probably never get to. His style is just so distinctive.
    And, good call on mentioning his songwriting.. he penned some of their best tunes.

4. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    I just got done playing some of Karl's stuff on Cool to be You. Wow. It covers the spectrum. Some of it's simple, some of it is just all over the place, some of it's just melodic and pretty. He really opened me up to augmented fifths. (I hope I got that right). Great player. Great band. . . still.

5. I've always been a big fan of Descendents,recently found out about ALL(yes,I was under a rock for a while).
    Karl is one of the few bassists who influence me in my favored style of music,what I call punk.:bag:
    DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A WHAT IS PUNK THREAD,I KNOW YOU WANT TO!:spit:
    Anywho,I like his style,and he's one of the many reasons I want a Musicman.
    Which one of the MM brand does he use?

6. I manage to mention Ron every other f***ing thread.

He's my hero!

Awesome you know about him. I can hook you up with some "Masked Jackal" tab if you're interested....

7. I'm bumpin' this back up to the top, because I've been on one of those jags lately where I've been listening to the Descendents' "Everything Sucks" pretty much every day, and I just have to say, once again: Karl Alvarez rules. If you haven't heard this album, go get it.

8. SmithLee

SmithLee

Nov 23, 2010
    Ron Broder is the most underated metal bassist. I modeled my bass playing after Steve Harris and Ron Broder.