Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Carter article in Bass Player

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Aug 13, 2003.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Its a good read - most memorable parts are his practice regimine - which consist wholly of one scale ("Db major is winning lately") played over an over (I assume in three octaves) FOR AN HOUR in a corner until it is absolutely in tune and smooth - perfect. He doesn't practice jazz at home, he claims the best way to practice jazz is to go play at a club.

Other nugget was a really good little paragraph about the necessity for musicians to be able to *articulate* what they are playing to each other. I thought this was interesting, especially since he was talking about it in the context of Miles' group - which I think we can all agree consisted of musicians with pretty big ears - and how important it was to be able to talk through the things each musician is doing to make the parts/chords/melodies unique.

Overall, a good article, with also a walkthrough one of Ron's lessons (no, its not just Db over and over!). He seems pretty dogmatic about what has worked for him, but that's the privelege of being Ron Carter.

One other cool thing was his refusal to compare himself to other bass players. He claims it a) discounts all the other great bass players not included in the comparison and b) just doesn't need to do it, since that's not what music's about. Amen.

2. Looks good - I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for the heads-up!

- Wil

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually he said it was over only ONE octave :eek:

4. I hate to hijack this into a gear-related thread, but does anyone happen to remember the name of the soundpost pickup system he uses?

5. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I will look again when I get home if I remember.

6. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Danny, it's a Kurmann...he says he goes direct with either that or his Realist when he records.

7. Thanks!