1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ron Carter interview on Do The Math

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by oliebrice, Jun 18, 2007.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
  2. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Thanks for that.
    Well, here we go again. I love Ron. But he just always has to say some sh!t that will make you tense up a little. Like the Jimmy Garrison comment.
    Ah well.

3. Lovely interview from a knowledgable interviewer, who is himself a great player, showing respect and interest towards an older, great player. An interview that was actually worth reading, discussing musical ideas and viewpoints rather than just biographical trivia.
    I'll keep this website in my favourites. Thanks.

4. Great interview. It's very interesting to see what Ron Carter thinks.

5. Ron has always been one of my favorites..That being said I always get a hint of being jealous when he mentions stuff like the Garrison comment.
    At his level this is really not needed , because after I read his comments on the drummers and Wayne's music I thought.." Who elae but Ron could comment on this because he was there" This is really great stuff.:hyper: So I'm guessing he wished he had Jimmy's gig, cuz he didn't get the call..[Did Ron ever play or record w. Trane ?] Why would he say he grooves harder ??? This man has so much to offer and still he steps on it every so often...attitute or altitude ???

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    Have you seen his extensive Billy Hart interview? thats even better...
    http://billyhartmusic.com/interview.htm

7. yeah, thats great too!!

8. bassgeek

bassgeek Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    That is a nice interview.

I saw Ron a couple of days ago at a record signing/performance event at J & R music in New York. He sounded great, much better than when I saw him do a clinic at the Blue Note a few years ago.

They played mainly stardards with a few originals and some older tunes of Ron's thrown in.

The concert tomorrow night is sure to be killer. I hope someone on Talkbass goes and can give us a review.

9. That Garrison comment is really rich! Maybe he means with his amp cranked....
    For me Jimmy wailing on his open string on "East Broadway Run Down" is worth more than all 2000 of Ron's dates.
    As my dad used to say, "Do I need to hold you down and dig the sh** out of your ears, boy?"

10. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Did he have a bigger sound than JG at that moment in time? Who knows. It's unquantifiable from recordings TBH.
    Did Ron play with more authority? Quite possibly did. What i take from this interview, is that when Ron plays, its Ron that's playing. His sound. His time. His groove. All that he has worked to achieve. I reckon he means that JG was more flexible with the time, dependent on the drummer etc. so Elvin had to play towards Ron more.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021