Ron Carter - Meets Bach

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bijoux, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Has anyone checked out Ron Carter's " Meets Bach"?, if so what was that like? I am about to order it. thank you.
  2. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    I have heard a bunch of it on the radio lately and it sounds pretty good if I am thinking of the same album. It has Kenny Baron on it. Ron's sound is more like what it used to be like in terms of tone. Has he stopped using that Barcus Berry thing, or did he just want more of a natural sound for this recording? I think that his tone in the 60's and early 70s was great, so this is more like that. I was just listening to that album from the early 70s with Jim Hall called "Alone Together" that is a great album.
  3. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    I think that we are talking about different albums, I am asking because I was under the impression that Ron plays mostly arco on the whole album, I heard one cut few years back and wasan't paying much attention to it, but it was a solo bowed solo piece, so I thought the whole album was like that. I read the back cover, so I know for sure that all the pieces were written by Bach. thanks anyway.
  4. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    BTW, I just found out that Ron Carter also has another album called " Branderburg Concerto", I didn't know he was into all this classical music.

Also, Jas regarding your post, as far as Ron's sound goes try listening to Miles Davis "ESP" and some of the real old stuff with Miles. You may already be familiar with that, but if not is refereshing to know that Ron has gotten one of the fattest bass sound. Back in the day all he had was a mic in front of his bass, so he had to beat that bass pretty hard. Great sound.
  5. (IMNSHO) I think Ron Carter defines the way the acoustic bass should sound - I think his technique and the sound he produces are fabulous!

re - "all this classical music..." - you might want to check out
    Ron Carter's bio -

- also, there is a CD (on Philips) titled "Ron Carter Plays Bach" containing a selection of movements from J S Bach's 'Cello Suites and Lute Suites, played on the piccolo bass, and the double-bass pizzicato.

- Wil
  6. That's what happens when you graduate from Eastman
  7. Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Wow, I was expecting something different, Ron Plays pizz thru the whole album which I think sometimes get in the way of the orchestra, finnally on the very last song he plays arco on his piccolo and then you really wished he hadn't done that. talk about sour intonation. I also ordered Meets Bach, will prabably be the same deal.
  8. Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Didn't anybody notice?! Ron Carter's constantly out of tune in the "Meets Bach" album (although some of the ideas and variations are really nice).
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The title of this thread instantly drew to mind the phrase "Head-on Collision".

Not nice to say, granted, but just had to share that.
  10. I couldn't disagree with you more Wil..I like the old Miles stuff, but when he started to use a pick-up everything went down hill for me. His sound, but his intonation is just plain painful for me. Especially the piccolo just :bawl:
    For me the Jim Hall duo outing is his best.
  11. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ron's intonation on the Bach album is pretty scary. Certainly not up to the standards one would want for playing Bach.

Ron was a cellist so it's not surprising that he's into all the classical stuff.

The nice thing about sound is that we all have our different ideals of what sounds good. I love Ron's playing but his sound (even when not using certain gear) has never been my favourite.
  12. Well Paul, I think you're absolutely right - "Piccolo" is my least favourite of RC's work - I love the the stuff he did with Jim Hall. Also, bear in mind that my post was made over 2 years ago - since then I've listened to many more bassists, live and on record - so, I was wrong… …so sue me! :p

- Wil
  13. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Ron Carter uses those black La Bellas these days. I've tried them for a few months. they have an extremely clear sound and reveal every nuance of your left hand technique, much more so than Spirocores. I think we'd all benefit from hearing our intonation so "exposed" some times. just makes me appreciate Ron Carter all the more.

besides, his sense of rhythm is the NONPAREIL!

Dave P
  14. I'm thinkin' about it....
    By the way, we were listening to an older Bill Evans thing that was part of that Complete Riverside Collection of Bills with Ron on these particular cuts and Ron sounded just fine.