Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ron carter tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Groove_Master, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Groove_Master

Groove_Master Guest

Feb 29, 2004
    Turkey
    where can i find ron carter tabs? or can i find ron carter tabs :/

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where have you looked? I think it's unlikely you'll find much, seeing as Ron Carter is a double bass jazz guy, making it doubly unlikely that someone will have tabbed it.

What Carter albums have you been listening to?

Wulf

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I don't know if you can get Ron Carter tabs (probably not since he doesen't play BG?) But if you want to play one of his lines I suggest you learn them off the recording.

/lovebown

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There have been a number of Carter transcriptions published in Bass Player magazine and there are some in his walking method book. But not tab :meh:

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Again, which songs? I know tab for a jazz song originally performed on acoustic bass is a double anaethema to some but I can see their point if you just get a bassline and try to play it without any sense of context. The whole point of what someone like Ron Carter is doing is creating his music in response to what the other instruments are playing - it's not like an AC/DC tune that can largely be summed up as a couple of riffs and lots of chugging along (not to disparage AC/DC - I love what they do but it's definitely not jazz...).

Name a specific recording, tab out what you can, and someone else might be able to help filling in the gaps or helping you hear where you went a little astray.

Wulf

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As Wulf says - the real point about any great Jazz player like Ron Catrter is how they improvise great lines and respond to the other players and the situation - crucially, non-repeating lines. The best way to learn is to transcribe what they are doing , but it will help you immensely if you understand the theory behind these lines - how they were created and why certain notes were played in a particular context.

Without this understanding you are going to make it very hard for yourself, if you want to play like Ron!! ;)

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Yeah, but... ;)
    Take Vol 6: All Bird from the Aebersold books(Yes, KungFu, I know the recording of this 'rushes'. I only have the booklet).
    Anyway, you'll discover there are some definite 'Carter-isms' as you work/play your way through this.
    One of my favourites is playing ROOT-5 over the entire 12 bar progression...in "F", you would play only lF-C-F-C-lF-C-F-C-l etc
    Great for-
    a)Resting your plucking hand as you indulge in an adult beverage.

I do have a Carter book from the '70s, Building Jazz Bass Lines.
    Needless to say, this was pre-TAB.
    ;)

My suggestion is to pick up a couple of the Aebersold bass books, like Vol 6: All Bird & the Cedar Walton book(Carter played bass on that one, too).

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is this worth a new thread in General Instruction - "how to play like Ron Carter"?

Insights such as playing root-5 over the whole progression are interesting but we're getting beyond the realms of a tab request.

Wulf

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - this is an example of what I meant that it helps you a lot, if you understand the theory behind what he's doing - so you could apply that to a Blues in Bb or another key if you understood it - but not if you were just copying that line "parrot fashion". :meh:

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yikes, I'm in the TAB Forum?!
    Sorry, wulfman.
    ;)