Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Carter

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by JimmyM, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just saw Ron Carter with Herbie Hancock and Billy Cobham on BET on Jazz, and he had some sort of belt around his bass, like either a bungee cord or something. What exactly is that, and what purpose does it serve?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    May have been a bib.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What IS the point of a bass bib? I see 'em all the time, but always forget to ask.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Keeps the bass from getting scratched up or nasty from sweat, or keeping it clean if you're a sloppy diner.

5. Also prevents shiny spots on your clothes.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ah, thank ye good sirs. I'm putting in an order for one immediately, then -- just got a new gig suit, t'would be nice to protect it.

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    If your bass eats lobster it keeps it from getting its shoulders and chest dirty

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I sweat a lot when I play, so I'll even wipe my face on it. Plus it's a long one, so it helps to cover me when I feel like playing a gig without pants. No wait, that's when I'm playing a Hammond C-3....... :D

[um....Ron does use a bib....]

http://losthorsepress.org/images/events/roncarter2.jpg

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Couldn't tell it was a bib on that show. Thanks for the answers! BTW, he's pretty good, huh?

;)

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Not on that cello though....man, that's some awful intonation

11. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ron visited St. Louis a while back and even though he was playin' through a Crate amplifier he still had the same tone and attack that he does on studio recordings. IMHO that kinda proves that it's all in the ears, technique, and hands. I absoutely loved that recording he did with the Piccolo Bass and Buster Williams. I learnd the Laverne Walk off that record! I wonder if it's still in print?

Ric

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Yup - Piccolo

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Was this the one recorded live at Sweet Basil's or is there another one floating around out there?

14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yea,
    That's the one Ed and thanks to Alexi, it is still avaliable. :)

15. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    The CD version of Piccolo is apparently missing one track (Blue Monk) from the original 2 LP set. Happily, this track shows up on the CD Standard Bearers.

16. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I plead ignorance: What is BET on Jazz? On their Web site, it looks as though it is a separate channel?

jtg

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It is. It's only available to those who have a digital cable box in central Florida. I imagine it's the same for your local cable system. But it's great. They show concerts of new jazz artists, old-time clips of classic artists (yesterday they showed a bunch of Fats Waller), documentaries, etc. And despite it being a BET channel, all races that play jazz are represented.

BTW, I had the name of the channel wrong. It's BET Jazz.

18. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the info! I will have to check into it ...

jtg

19. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I don't get it

20. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    "Three Little Words" swings hard with a great arrangement!