Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Carter

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Aug 9, 2001.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    I already posted this question on a seperate thread, but I thought I would give it its own new thread too.

Does anyone know what type of strings Ron Carter used when he was with Miles in the 60s? Before he had the very trebly, electric sound that he has now. Did he use the same strings, but just play acousticly through a mic, or did he use totally different strings?

2. I sat in on Carter's bass in 1964. As I remember it, he was using Golden Spiral (wound nylon) on D and G; E and A were, I think, wire wound gut. I don't remember whose they were. This was a common setup at the time. He was going into a house mic. No amp.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I hate you.

:D

4. Ahhh.....1964

Diana Gannett and I played in the Iowa Allstate Orchestra together that year. When I reminded her of it, at the ISB convention, you would have thought I had just shot an arrow through her heart from the look on her face. I guess women take offense at being dated (age wise that is).

Mark

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ahh, 1964. 10.5 years before my conception. My parents were 17 and 12!!! :D :D :D

6. And Tony Williams played drums.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, Ron Carter is one thing, but now...you must DIE!!! That's not right Don!

:D

(So, do I get to receive a DONOSAUR contribution from the Johnson Chronicles)?

8. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    wow, are you serious Don? that must have been ridiculous. So how did his set-up feel. it sure sounded great!

9. That's 37 years ago. Standards and expectations were different, and my memory is not that great. I just remember that the bass was silky smooth to play, strings were low tension. I do remember we discussed Prescott basses, which he found slow-speaking. While we were talking, he hipped me to the Golden Spirals, and then told me to play his bass to see how they were. And, very shortly thereafter, I went out and bought Golden Spirals. But steels were just coming on the scene, and we all switched at various times.