Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Carter -

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by keithconn, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Insane! I saw him play this past weekend(opening?) for Mike Stern at the Iridium in NYC. He was nothing short of amazing!

He went through a Miles tune or two, my funny valentine, and a little more ... Simply one crazy bassist! A ledgend...

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    On a related note - I am working my way through his book right now - he definitely explains things well. I just started through it, but the thing I have already noticed is how he takes a 'simplified' (not basic) progression and shows how to evolve it with non-harmonic tones and concurrently how additional chords can be added to support those passing tones. I always appreciate that because it is too easy to just say "and this is where a flat 5 should be subbed in" - Carter actually gets into WHY a flat 5 should be subbed in, although ultimately his explanation comes down to adding "flavor" - that's cool though. At first I was disconcerted to see him have the same exercise (same notes) 4 times in a row until I realized how he was charting a subtle evolution, the kind of evolution that musicians often take for granted jamming something out..

I could go on..damn I would love to see this man play. Listening to Freddie Hubbard's "Red Clay" right now with some absolutely fantastic bass playing by the man himself.

3. GroovyJazz

GroovyJazz

Dec 1, 2001
    Rochester NY
    Yeah. I live down the road from Eastmen school of music and he came by here a few months ago to do a show because he used to go to school there. I saw that around noon he was doing a sort of seminar thing that was open to the public so I skipped school and went. Man it was cool. He was just standin up there like 10 feet from me and he started off with this really really amazing solo. It was beautiful, everyone was silent and is was amazing. Man. Then he just talked about jazz. Not the technical stuff, just about the good old days with Miles and what he personally did. It was really cool to hear his own perspective. He got ****in pissed when someone asked him "Do You think Miles turned his back on the jazz scene?" He just said, "Does a conductor turn his back to the audience when he begins a song?" and that was it. He was answering all sorts of great questions and saying all this stuff. It was a great thing to experience. He is an amazing player.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Saw Ron Carter on Feb 28th in Terrasa, near Barcelona (Spain), with Keny Baron and Bill Cobham. These guys do have incredible chops, but it was ONE OF THE WORST PERFORMANCE I EVER SAW. A one hour show for 30 euros: big reapoff. Bad sound since the drums were the loudest , then the bass, then the piano. The impression was that the guys did not want to play together. If this show comes in your town, save your money.

5. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Does Billy Cobham still play like a rock star with the double kick drum and all that? I am not a fan of that take on fusion drumming...

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It is Bill Cobham's gig and he calls it the Art of Three. Last nite I listened to the cd that they sell at the show: the guys are not together. I would tend to blame it on RC who tries too much to be hip, but its BC's show and he should set the pace. I think this is a good counter exemple of what Ed Fuqua advocates as strait, simple walk with quarter notes.

7. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I am frankly surprised RC is playing with Cobham - nothing against either of them, but it just seems like they wouldn't feed off of each other..

8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    They did studio work together in the 70s -- for instance, those infamous Creed Taylor dates.

My musical aim is toward modern jazz, but Billy Cobham is one of my musical heroes. The "Crosswind" LP highlights his complex and substantial compositions, written for a front-line of Mike Brecker, Randy Brecker, Garnett Brown and John Abercrombie.

(You're right, though, none of those tunes try to swing.)

9. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I franly haven't heard enough Cobham to know - all I really own is Spectrum. Which I really like parts of actually - its just as you say, he doesn't try to swing.