Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron McGovney Interview

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by MJ5150, Jun 22, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Posted by MinusHuman

Recently I had the chance to interview Ron McGovney (Metallica's First Bass Player) via E-mail. I asked him a handful of questions, as did a few other names from around the Metallica community. Ron very generously answered every question, and this is what he had to say:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Could you explain for everyone exactly what your part was in the early days of Metallica? - AllMet

I was not only the first bass player for Metallica, I was also the lead roadie. The band was formed in my garage and we used my dad's old Ford pickup to haul our equipment. I built a drum stage for Lars that we used in clubs. My parents and I actually were the financial backers of the band in the early days.

--

What songs did you record/help write with them and how many gigs did you play together? - AllMet

All of the songs that are found on Kill Em All were written in my garage and we played all of them when I was in the band. We also did Diamond Head covers: The Prince, Sucking My Love, Am I Evil, and Helpless. We covered Blitzkrieg by Blitzkrieg, Let It Loose by Savage and Killing Time by Sweet Savage. All of those songs can be found on bootlegs, but I have a practice tape of us doing some of those songs. I am going to put a copy up on eBay soon. I did do some arranging of the songs, but I was never credited with anything. I played at least 28 gigs with the band in the first year. A guy recently sent me a list of all the gigs I played an d I had forgotten about a few of them.

Full Interview: All Metallica