1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ron McGovney Interview

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by MJ5150, Jun 22, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Posted by MinusHuman

Recently I had the chance to interview Ron McGovney (Metallica's First Bass Player) via E-mail. I asked him a handful of questions, as did a few other names from around the Metallica community. Ron very generously answered every question, and this is what he had to say:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Could you explain for everyone exactly what your part was in the early days of Metallica? - AllMet

I was not only the first bass player for Metallica, I was also the lead roadie. The band was formed in my garage and we used my dad's old Ford pickup to haul our equipment. I built a drum stage for Lars that we used in clubs. My parents and I actually were the financial backers of the band in the early days.

--

What songs did you record/help write with them and how many gigs did you play together? - AllMet

All of the songs that are found on Kill Em All were written in my garage and we played all of them when I was in the band. We also did Diamond Head covers: The Prince, Sucking My Love, Am I Evil, and Helpless. We covered Blitzkrieg by Blitzkrieg, Let It Loose by Savage and Killing Time by Sweet Savage. All of those songs can be found on bootlegs, but I have a practice tape of us doing some of those songs. I am going to put a copy up on eBay soon. I did do some arranging of the songs, but I was never credited with anything. I played at least 28 gigs with the band in the first year. A guy recently sent me a list of all the gigs I played an d I had forgotten about a few of them.

Full Interview: All Metallica