Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Royce of CORONER

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Most people haven't heard of Coroner, a truly great progressive thrash band. It's sad, because their melodies, lyrics, technicality and progressions were mature and continued to stabilize and grow throughout all their albums.

Ron plays immensly busy and melodic lines throughout the bands work and also provides raspy vocals. A lot of the time, he doubles the guitar line (which is logical and reasonable, as they are a trio), but his fills can get quite fun and interesting. Take, for instance, his line on what I believe is the second solo in "Masked Jackal" off of Punishment for Decadence- very bluesy and jazzy. And his incredibly speedy two-digit fingerstyle matches guitarist Tom Vetterli's (who's now in Kreator) shredding sweeps, taps, and molten riffage.

Anybody into older prog like Rush and/or metal should check these guys out- they're worth your time.

2. Ron Royce (not his real name by the way) is a legend. He works his way through some amazing unison lines with the guitarist, I mean Mistress Of Deception would have Billy Sheehan looking at his chops, and can also play those brilliant industrial haunting lines on Mental Vortex and Grin. Great band, great bass player.

3. Right on man! Let's see if anybody else can dig the killer underground thrashin'.......

4. Well, its you and me it would seem.
    But if anyone is interested in the more prog/industrial side of metal you need to check out Mental Vortex and Grin by Coroner. This is not death metal as the name would suggest.
    Very progressive and at times even ambient euro-metal.
    Quite unique and quite brilliant.

5. Holy Crap! I didn't think anybody else liked Coroner. I am years removed from any kind of metal (as I sit here listening to Bill Evans non-stop), but I loved Ron Royce. I had a VHS of them, and to watch him playing his Esh was great. I loved "Masked Jackal". I always thought they had some tunes.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, talk about Flashback. I think I heard them back in the day, along with Sieges Even, Mekong Delta, Watchtower and the like.

7. I LOVE that song as well, as my name implies.... So what kind of bass is that you say? Esh? Can you elaborate?