Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ron Thal / Bumblefoot ??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by parrott, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Well, my vocals teacher played a couple of tracks by him to my class today (one was an example of really good singing, the other was of his guitar playing) and they were really cool!

One started with someone shouting "Guitars suck!" and then some of the most incredable playing I've ever heard (on a fretless guitar no less), and the other had verse that were lounge-musicy with whispered vocals, a loud chorus, and the most dissonant guitar solos ever.

I really liked them!

Does anybody else like him / know anything else about him?
    What would the best tracks of his to start with?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    His records are very, very hard to get here in Europe, but I've been following his career since he was in Guitar Player's Spotlight column in the early nineties.

3. What songs can you recommend, off what album?

(I know all about the pros and cons of mp3 downloading, but this is the kind of time when it just has to be done.)

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    just did a search on Ron and came up with more than I expected. I'm very proud to say I played with Ron in his last Bumblefoot incarnation which crumbled right after 9/11. Was almost ready to get out and gig, and everything literally came down around us.

Ron is a genius. Period.
    And a great guy too.

I'd suggest getting Uncool. I think you can order it through his website www.bumblefoot.com, or www.ronthal.com.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i met ron at NAMM 2003 at the Vigier booth.

SUPER nice guy!!!

very humble. a suprize from his playing.

he's a stylistic master!

i love the thimble slide!

f

6. Whoa.......... after ordering Uncool on Friday, it arrived today.....

OH man, it's blown me away!! It's absolutly ace, totally weird, and, just........ wow!!

I've listened through it a couple of times, and I'm still not believing my ears. The kinda scratch-led riff of Go, Kiss The Ring out-RATMing RATM, the guitar sound on Delilah.. where to start?? It's totally awesome!

PS What's with that 30-min long untitled last track? I thought it was some kind of anti-piracy loop thing at first, but the repeats are different..... it's mad. Just like the rest of the album.