1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ron Wood

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lazy, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    HAve any of you ever heard Ron Wood's bass playing on Jeff Beck's "Truth?"

I thought his playing was pretty good for a guitar player even though Beck seems to be playing all over the place.

For those of you who haven't heard it, check it out!
    I must warn you that Rod Stewart is the vocalist on it. But it has John Paul Jones on keyboardsfor a couple of tunes.

2. I think both Ron and Rod do a great job on that disk. The songs groove pretty well.

Beck-Ola is another great with the same lineup.

Great Beck.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    What's 'wrong' with Rod?!
    Back then, he was a pretty good Blues/Tin Pin Alley vocalist. ;)
    It sucks that I never had Truth or Beck-Ola...both have been on my list-to-get for a long while....at one time, I think BOTH were even available on ONE cd! Still available, Gruffs?
    (& where can I pickup a copy of Pretties For You?).

BTW, I always liked Woody's bass playing on Every Picture Tells A Story("Maggie May")

Slater likes this.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Ronnie is a much better bassist than guitarist, IMHO.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Yep,Ronnie IS a very fine bass player.
    He's also a very mean slide guitar player!
    :D

ezra1 likes this.
  6. I have always considered Ron Wood a Musician.
    He gets the job done.

7. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    I think Keith Richards had the best quote that summed up his and Ron's playing.

"Individually we're pretty lousy, but together we're better then 10 others." They do bring the best out in each other's playing, IMHO.

8. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Truth yes, Beck Ola, no. I really enjoyed the Truth album but haven't had a copy in many years. I always liked Wood's playing on it (and elsewhere with Rod Stewart as mentioned above).

9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Truth was one of my many ‘textbook’ albums; loved all those lines. Even though I was just as much a Cream and Hendrix fan, Ronnie’s supportive work was more concise than Jack, and far more interesting than Noel. I was surprised to later learn that he had been a full time guitarist before, in fact he started out with Beck on second guitar, but they could never find a bass player who fit. Sure, he was a very active player, like Entwistle, rhythmic and melodic; he never seemed like a guitarist who was slumming yet over playing. I liked(and still play)both of those albums, for different reasons, as they sound so different, even though it’s the same kind of music. “Truth” was recorded in a piecemeal fashion, with a variety of personnel, Ken Scott engineering, a Jazz Bass; “Beck-ola” done in one shot, consistent band(new drummer), Martin Birch(who went on to do Deep Purple)engineering, Telecaster Bass, just a raw, unhinged performance. That grindy bass solo at the end of ‘Spanish Boots’ just rocked.

emblymouse and woodyng2 like this.
  10. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Love the tone on "Spanish boots", been trying to nail that tone for a while!
    I haven't heard that he used a Jazz for Trust, i always assumed it was the Tele 51 bass. Where did you hear that?

11. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Didn't hear it, but I've seen it...
    ronnie-art-wood.
    Aside from "Beck's Bolero", recorded in 1966 with JPJ, and odds'n'sods numbers like the original take of "Rock My Plimsoul", "I've Been Drinking", and "Tallyman"(all bonus tracks)from late '67/early '68, the rest of the album was recorded over May, 1968. The Telecaster Bass wasn't issued until right around that time, and I seriously doubt that any ended up in British stores immediately, given distribution/shipping in those days. The Beck Group toured the US for the first time later that summer, and with a little money in his pockets Ronnie must have picked up one then. Earlier on, he reportedly swiped the Jazz right off the wall from the Sound City store on Shaftesbury Avenue(paying for it later)when it was decided that the band would just be a power trio+vocals with Ron on bass. It would be safe to assume that we was using Marshall Super Bass or Majors in the recording studio, especially on "Beck-ola"(you can hear the raw sound). Here, in a shot from a Fillmore appearance is a "Pig" front Major(narrow control panel)...
    2058125739_44c40226b8_b.
    On subsequent US appearances he was seen with a wall of Fender Showmans, Rickenbacker Transonics, and for a couple of gigs, Plush tube amps, photos of which were used heavily in Plush ads.

Ever heard these?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    SkulliesBass and woodyng2 like this.
  12. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Cheers for the pics and info, i've never seen these before. Here's the one i have seen...

Ronnie Wood bass.

SkulliesBass and Thick McRunfast like this.