Ronan Guilfoyle: Creative Rhythmic Concepts For Jazz Improvisation

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by oliebrice, Jan 23, 2006.

1. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    anyone had a look at this book? what do you make of it? the author is a double bassist who plays with Dave Leibman and studied with Dave Holland

heres the blurb...
    Ronan Guilfoyle: Creative Rhythmic Concepts For Jazz Improvisation £18.75
    Ronan Guilfoyle: Creative Rhythmic Concepts For Jazz Improvisation
    Click to enlarge

This book and CD is the first of its kind to focus on the most recent developments in jazz rhythmic techniques. Intended for use by all instruments, it shows how you can develop a sophisticated rhythmic technique and use this in a jazz context.

The following areas are examined in depth: creative subdivision; metric modulation; odd metres. Each area is carefully explained and suggestions made as to how to develop one’s own ideas in these areas. The following areas are also discussed: Bulgarian music; South Indian Tala system; multiple subdivision; polyrhythms; odd metre polyrhythms; odd metre metric modulation. Laid out in a very clear manner, the techniques are illustrated on the CD with over 50 examples. The book features six original compositions that illustrate various rhythmic techniques and the CD can also be used as a play-along recording.
  2. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    He actaully plays acoustic bass guitar. i went to one of his masterclasses, and what he said about rhythmic skills and honing you rhythmic sense was really interesting. i havent bought the book yet, but soon...
    and he's played with some big names, not only liebman: (this is taken from
    Dave Liebman, Kenny Werner, Joe Lovano, Kenny Wheeler, Keith Copeland, Brad Mehldau, John Abercrombie, Larry Coryell, Benny Golson, Jim McNeely, Sonny Fortune, Andy Laster, Simon Nabatov, Richie Beirach, and Tom Rainey.
  3. JPBass

Aug 31, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Heres a link to a photo of Ronan playing with Dave Liebman. It looks to me something like a Wechter acoustic bass guitar he is playing.