1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rondo jazz vs. Squier VM jazz - who has both?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SWILLKILL, Feb 19, 2008.

1. SWILLKILL

SWILLKILL Banned

Apr 24, 2007
    wondering if anyone has a rondo(sx) jazz AND a squier VM jazz and can compare the two...out of the box (no mods - pro setups)

or a rondo(sx) p and a squier vm p would work.

2. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    Played both and think the Squier VM is a much more solid instrument out of the box. SX's are great for the money, but Sunday I complared my G&L 2500 to my cousin's SX P. While the SX played well and seemed like a nice bass with no comparisons, It only lasted a few minutes next to my L2500; the frets needed filing, the pickup was humming a bit, and the thing had a horrible case of neck dive. I was thinking of getting an SX, but after the comparison I reconsidered. When I went to the local Fender dealer over the weekend, the two basses that spoke to me the most were a Squier VM and a 60th anniversary Jazz. I took the anniversary home because of a good deal, but the VM was no slouch. Hands down, the Squier VM is better than the SX, but it is twice the price, so it all comes down to what you're willing to spend.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I has a SX Jazz and it was terrible. Terrible sounding, terrible workmanship and terrible to play. I owned it 2 weeks before I dumped it.

I have a fretless Squier VM that plays great, sounds pretty good and was impeccably finished (before ibanezcollector killed it:eek::D)

Keep in mind that at VM is 2x+ more expensive than the SX.

4. marco_e

marco_e

Jan 16, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I own an SX jazz that I de-fretted and shielded. I played the vintage squire fretless a few weeks ago and I felt that my SX sounded 100x better. However this was just my experience and no two basses are alike.

5. manjonning

manjonning

May 18, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I've owned them both .. I'd go with the squire ..but you'll probably end up mod-ing them both ...the squire just feels more solid and the neck dive isn't so drastic!

6. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    Own them both. VM fretless and an SX PJ-62. For the price, I was surprised with both of them. The Fender has a nice neck profile and is light, sound is pretty good. The SX has a chunky neck, but I've noticed no neck dive and it is a little on the heavy side. Swapped out the stock strings with some Chromes and it sounds pretty nice. Again, for the price, they're both worth checking out.

7. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've owned both - the SX jazz had several high frets out-of-the-box & I had to request replacement tuning gears twice. Several tuning gears on the instrument were so tight they were almost nonfunctional - the replacement batch had a couple more that were almost as bad as the originals. The stock pickups were pretty good, IMO. That much work to make the instrument functional right out of the box really turned me off. Did I just get a lemon? Don't know..Maybe the QC has improved in the 3-4 years since then...don't know.
    On the other hand, I picked up a Squier Affinity 5-string 2 weeks ago - neck profile is more comfortable than my MIA & I can get the action way lower than my MIA Jazz Deluxe without fretbuzz. Essentially, a fantastic neck, Alder body, great nut & fretwork, hardware, etc. The string spacing is very comfortable as well - the SX string spacing felt much tighter (from memory). I'm amazed at the level of quality to be quite honest - not what I consider a lower-line instrument at all. They can call it anything they want as long as they keep this kind of quality going at these prices. ;) I plan on buying another Squier Jazz in red! :bassist:

100_0668.
    100_0663.
    100_0661.

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    just picked up that same bass in vintage white,, & i'm truly amazed at the quality basses that Squier is putting out.
    i pulled the stock pickups & dropped in a set of Fender SCN's Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups, & this bass smokes,, may add an Audere very soon

DSCF0013-1.
    DSCF0014-2.

9. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    Can someone tell this newbie bassist (but experienced drummer) what the heck neck dive is? Is it a poorly balanced guitar that tends to dive neckfirst, meaning I suppose not well balanced?

10. I bought the same bass. Pretty good for $200.00.

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    yes,,

12. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    FWIW, the electronics are better in the squier VM, figure the cost of replacing them in the SX and you have pretty close to your price difference.

Of course, that's only if you thought the pickups in the squier were good enough. For me, either one would be a backup bass, and the duncan-designed pups would be just fine in that role - not 100% authentic tone, but good enough for the role and decent output.

13. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    So, I guess by "electronics" you mean pots AND pups (if not, those must be some expensive pots or maybe you aren't doing your own wiring)? I happen to like the stock SX pups. Yeah there are better, and I did change the ones on my fivers, but I'm keeping the ones on my 4 stringers so far.

14. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I would go fot the squier.

I haven't owned both, but i've played both. (owned an sx)

I liked my sx jazz, but it had a lot of little flaws. For the money you pay you can expect these things. Noisy, bad frets, scharp edges.

For 120€ it was a great bass, sounded and played good after a little bit of setting up.

But the vm's i've played were setup perfect and they were finished beautifull with a lot of eye for detail. Frets... perfect,... finisch perfect. It felt like a more expensive bass.

As a matter of fact i'm probably going to buy one, once i've sold a bass i'm currently selling.

:hyper:

15. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Damn I just sold my bass I was selling.

Now I can go buy a vm

:hyper: