Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rondo Music (CNB) Pedal Boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basscase528, Nov 7, 2005.

1. basscase528

basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
    So what's the consensus on the CNB pedal boards from Rondo Music? Worthwhile value or not?

e.g. http://www.rondomusic.net/pdc410e.html

I did a search and found one crappy review that that the pedals don't stick to the board and that's all. Is this true or have people had more positive experiences with them. It's either that one or build my own from an old briefcase. Also should I wait until I amass all of the pedals I want to buy before starting on my pedal board or just start now?

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've got one (medium sized maybe?) that I've been using for a few years. I don't use too many pedals (tuner, Boss LS-2 to blend dry signal with effects from a Zoom BFX-708 and a Dunlop M-80). I use a power strip on it and plug in a couple of wall warts.

pros:
    - great to have all the pedals wired up and ready to go
    - protects them when closed up (saved them from a falling rack one time - a nice ding on the case but the pedals are unscathed)

cons:
    - there's a "lip" on the bottom so I need to leave enough space at the edge to get a cord plugged into the first pedal
    - the hinges are starting to bend after a couple years of use (application of some pliers can keep that in line)

I've found the velcro (I use my own roll I picked up a Lowes or Home Depot) sticks very well to the lining. In fact I need to re-glue the bottom pad in one spot as it's been pulled up some from prying pedals off it.

However the self-adhesive velcro doesn't stick to the pedals/pads that well when the case is stored on its side. I've put some extra foam into the lid of the case to press the pedals in place during storage but if they aren't held in place gravity will win out over the velcro adhesive.

I've considered cutting a piece of pegboard to fit in the case so I can attach the pedals using tie-wraps (no slipping) and put some feet/spaces on it so I can run the wiring underneath, out-of-sight. But I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

But I like the CNB pedal case and give it a thumbs-up.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I like mine, although it dents by looking at it funny.

My board holds hook velcro pretty well, but I use the industrial strength velcro, and also superglue the velcro pads to the pedal bottoms anyway. But the velcro itself holds against the board quite well.

The takeapart hinge is in decent shape and is easy to do and undo, at least. And the lip only bugs me once in awhile - you can solve the lip issue by putting a foam or carpet riser under your edge pedals, with appropriate velcro or similar mods =0)

4. basscase528

basscase528

Oct 24, 2005
    London UK
  5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    no complaints for weekend warrior use. may not hold up under heavy use on the road. used heavier duty velcro to anchor the pedals.

6. bassist4God770

bassist4God770

Jan 11, 2004
    Mine has held up extremely well. Of course, I don't throw it into the trailer after a show. :) If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

7. If you rub the pedal-bottom rubber pad with alcohol a few times before you put the velcro on it, they adhere much better.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I just picked up one of these. It seems pretty light and a little cheap, but not shoddy. For the money it isnt bad at all. I think most other (premium) cases run at least $100.

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You get what you pay for, but the Rondo pedalboard case is serviceable.

My pedals were not holding well to the fabric. I swapped the bottom fabric out for simple indoor/outdoor carpeting from Menards that cost me all of $2.00. (Take a bit of Velcro with you to your local home improvement store and try applying and pulling your peice of velcro off various carpet and floor covering samples) A bit of superglue to secure the new carpet and I have much better velco to carpet contact and hold. Maybe doesn't look as cool as an all black interior, but I'm not out to impress anyone but me.