Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rf77a, Aug 9, 2004.

1. rf77a

Aug 9, 2004
    Is anyone familiar with these basses from
    I have in mind to purchase both a fretless JazzBass copy, and a fretless Precision copy and want to exchange the necks if the bolt pattern is consistent.
    Is this possible?
  2. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Essex Thread

Can't answer personally, but check above link.
  3. Good basses for the money...I'd say they pretty much match up with most MIM Fenders. If your going to be changing the necks if the bolt patter is consistent, make sure the pocket measurements are the same (if not VERY close and all you have to do is a tad bit of sanding).

Good luck with whatever you do.
  4. jommit52

Jul 11, 2004
    i was actually looking at a 5 string on there but i decided against it. i know what i want and i will save the money for it
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Email them and ask, they are very responsive.
  6. Essex & Brice basses are a kind of "hit or miss", especially when you mail order. I "missed". IMO save your money to purchase something better.
  7. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I "hit". I bought one of their 5-string fretless models, and it plays and sounds great!
  8. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    exchange the necks with what? each other? the same brand, but fretted? exchange with Fender necks?

I believe that the SX Jazz and P bass necks actaully have the same width dimensions, unlike the differences you find when trying Fenders. I belive that if yuo go to the Parts section on the website, you only have one neck(with choice of fretboards) for either the Jazz or the P.

As always, I may be wrong.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think hes saying swap the necks on the 2 basses. Put the P neck on the jazz, jazz neck on the P.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was sniffing around on the Rondo site, & noticed that you can buy necks & bodies from those guys. So, have at it.
  11. The necks come w/ no nut or tuning machines or string tree FYI.
  12. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    That's why I wanted to point that I think the necks are identical, unless the two samples would have different fretboards. NO need in bothering with a swap if they're the same.
  13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Why do you want to exchange the necks before you've tried them? You might like them . . .
  14. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

They aren't the same. Check out the page where you can buy just the necks. They're different widths at the nut.
  15. rf77a

Aug 9, 2004
    I emailed them and they advised to consult this forum.
  16. rf77a

Aug 9, 2004
    I agree. I wouldn't buy a 5-string from them. But a JazzBass copy and a Precision copy, both fretless for that price is a major factor. This will be my first fretless.
  17. rf77a

Aug 9, 2004
    I prefer that JazzBass body with the Precision neck.