Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rondo's Brice Douglas 5 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gangis-kahn, May 29, 2003.

1. Check this out!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    why yes we have ;)

here

and here

:bassist: they look kick @ss, I'm hoping to score one soon

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Brice Douglas 5 (Swamp ash, Maple/Maple).

Alright before I post my opinions and observations of this bass let me say I’ve just received it and have only been able to play it in a band setting (last night) once.

I believe I should give you a description of my modest rig prior to bass reviews. I use a Hartke 3500 head going through an Xaudio (lowend brand bought off eBay) 2X15. The 2X15 is perfect for my applications and is plenty loud and full. I also us a Tech 21 Bass Compactor which is a compressor and 2 band active EQ pedal. I do not use the compression…only the two band active EQ which I set to 100% on both Bass and Treble. I never vary this setting as it provides much needed output for most passive basses. On the Amp the bass and treble knobs are set at middle “zero” position (neither boost nor cut). The graphic EQ on the amp is set flat except for the 250Hz which is boosted 100%, the 5KHz is boosted 80% and the 8KHz is boosted 100%. The settings above are exactly what I used last night with the Brice, Douglas 5.

When I opened the double boxed Brice box I was amazed at what I saw. The bass itself is beautiful. The finish was flawless…yes…I mean it was totally flawless. The neck is nice and tight; the hardware is decent (I will not be changing any of the hardware). The bridge is exactly the same bridge as used on the Schecter Diamond Series Robert DeLeo Sig model bass. The ashtrays look nice but I immediately removed the bridge cover as I could tell it would get in my way. Strap locks are very big but I replaced them with Schaller strap loks last night after practice. The bass is nice and heavy. I’d say it was between 9 and 11lbs. Noticeably heavier than my Warmoth P bass 5 string. The figuring in the ash is beautiful and grabs your attention.
    Neck - The neck feels similar to a SR5. Extremely comfortable and very fast. The neck has a clear coat on it but that’s fine with met. The nut was cut very nicely. No frets stuck out past the fretboard. The frets seemed to be dressed nicely. There is a little fretbuzz but not enough to warrant an action adjustment or truss rod Adjustment (yet). The neck has zero relief…completely flat which I prefer and the action was very low…perfect for my playing style. String spacing is 5/8 (.6250mm). While this spacing might be a little tight…I prefer it this way. I’m solely a fingerstyle player and never slap. The fretboard is a nice slab of maple with black block inlays. The inlays looks nice. Overall the neck on this bass is much more comfortable than my Warmoth P bass 5 stringer. Much easier to get around.
    Body - Very nice looking. Totally vintage Jazz style with the BWB pickguard. Knobs seem fine….pots don’t stick. HEAVY…but therein lies tone. Clearcoat seems nice and thick…I happen to like that…you may not.
    Pickups/Tone - Pickups are overseas single coil jazz that definitely hum when not at equal volumes. The output seems fine. I may or may not change them…right now I’m happy with the tone. The tone…MAN…going through my rig/setup this bass has a guttural growl that commands “LISTEN TO ME”. The lows are extremely low-mid heavy thanks to the 250Hz slider being at 100%. The highs are cutting but not the Nu Metal Clickety Clack ala Fieldy (can’t stand that). Actually….it sounded almost like I was playing with a pick (love that tone). I kept the basses V/V/T set at 100% in the band situation all night as well. I dimmed the tone not while playing with the other guys just to assess what it would sound like and it did mellow the tone enough for ballads or mellower songs. My guitarist and drummer both commented on how great the bass sounded and how well it cut through the mix. Personally I’ve never had luck with a jazz bass cutting through…they all seem to get lost in a loud band setting. I’m not worried about this one though. The only changes I’ll be making is getting rid of my Tech 21 bass compactor in favor of a Aguilar or Sadowsky outboard preamp…haven’t decide which yet.

The above opinions are expressed only after one night of playing. If something changes any of my above statements in the near future I will post on this thread. I hope the above helps any of you Tbers who had questions about the Douglas Brice 5 Swamp Ash. If I’ve not answered your specific question please let me know and I’ll do my best.
    I was planning on immediately re-wiring this bass to Series as soon as I received it but after last night I’m leaving it stock for a while. The tone is definitely there.
    -Bazz-

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Update to my previous review. After having it for a few weeks now here are the only faults I've found.
    1. I've found approx 4 frets that are high. No big deal and will only take about $80.00 (including pro setup) to fix. I can get the action low...but not as low as I should be able to.
    2. When I disassembled it I found that the neck pickup chasis had fallen through the cover. I removed the pickup screw springs and replaced them with foam right under the chasis. Problem solved.

Am I disappointed. Heck no...these are small problems that I almost expect to find on a Korean bass. Bear in mind...if you get one plan on spending an additional $80.00 to $100.00 to have a pro set it up and level any frets. It's still a bargain for what you get. The tone is amazing, pickups are hot, fit and finish is great and the neck is extremely comfortable. Pots and wiring all look good.