Ronnie James Dio Hologram Concert Tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Ronnie James Dio Hologram Concert Tour

After debuting at last year's Wacken Festival in Germany, a hologram of late heavy-metal singer Ronnie James Dio set out on a world tour, backed by musicians who played with him, last fall. The trek, dubbed "Dio Returns," kicked off with a European leg of performances in theaters on November 30th in Helsinki before hitting South America, Australia and Asia. The tour will arrive in the U.S. in the spring of 2018 and hit select festivals next summer.

The Dio Band consists of guitarist Craig Goldy, drummer Simon Wright, keyboardist Scott Warren and bassist Bjorn Englen. The musicians have previously made appearances as the Dio Disciples.

2. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    I appreciate that the players need the work, but damn, at best this could be termed “grossly exploitative”. At best.

bobba66, pcake, kobass and 3 others like this.
  3. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    This is highly disturbing.

kobass and Mvilmany like this.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    If I pay to see an artist, I want to SEE them, in person. Otherwise I'd just buy a concert disc and watch it at home.

kobass likes this.
  5. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Looks like cgi motion capture stuff. I never saw him when alive, but that hologram is kind of a snooze fest as a front man

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Well, this is great news! MY hologram will definitely be in the audience...:rolleyes:

dralionux, pcake, two fingers and 4 others like this.
  7. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    I guess necromancy wasn't an option:rollno:

pcake likes this.
  8. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Who gets Dio's cut?

9. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I don't care for it. At the same time, I think it's only the beginning. Technology will soon allow people to create entirely new concert videos of bands that are long gone.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No, it is on the table.

pcake likes this.
  11. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    I tought the Ouija board was on there.

12. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Yes, 100% grossly exploitative and highly disturbing. In other words, the current norm.

Michedelic likes this.
  13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This sort of thing has already been going on for a while, using older technology of course, with Elvis...

14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Where do you place 'tribute' acts that are based on long deceased artists, trying 'recreate the experience'? I first saw Randy Hanson do his Hendrix shtick almost 30 years ago, long before the tribute fad really took off, and it was a bit creepy. The Beatles stuff like 'Rain' or '1964' is just sad.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  15. I would have no issue with it, as long as some of the proceeds are going to the family he left behind.

16. I believe his wife Wendy has given full support for this project. Some like it, some don't - I fall into the latter category. Maybe it's a cool thing at a festival or one-off to use holograms, but to build a whole tour around it? Are we now going to have other groups resurrecting other dead artists to "perform" with them?

I say let the dead rest in peace...

John

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :banghead:

When I taught bass lessons all of my poor little disenfranchised ostracized teen male students thought that RJD was a rock god who "gets me". To keep them happy I had to teach them some of his tripe full of cliche lyrics about dreams and ponies and rainbows and "you can do it" and "one day you'll blossom into a man" themes. Man, what a bunch of garbage.

I certainly didn't wish death on the man. But I have to admit I thought we would be done with him after he passed.

Turns out..... :vomit:

I wish his family the best, and mourn fkr the losses suffered by his friends and family. But dang.... this is just weird.

I did see Brad Paisley perform "Remind Me" with a Carrie Underwood hologram several years ago in Raleigh. That was weird too.

Here's a different concert with the same shtick.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022