1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rookie Multi-Effects Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Sep 23, 2008.

1. So, I am fairly new to bass, but already on my second bass and second amp, one big fatty and one portable. My basses are a Fender P, and a Cort B4 active. My amps are an Acoustic B200, and currently returning/shopping-buying another portable (a different thread).
    I wanted a pedal effect and drum machine for practicing and goofing around with different sounds, and got the DigiTech BP200. My main issue is with the drum machine. It has 30 patterns, but only 1 Blues, and 1 Jazz, while it has 3 or 4 Dance and 3 or 4 Pop. I like to play all kinds of stuff, but would have preferred more Blues and Jazz.
    So, I started looking at Guitar-based pedals and noticed a better selection.
    Here are the questions:
    1) As far as effects go, can you use Guitar and/or Bass pedals interchangeably?
    2) Are effects, just effects, whether you use them with Guitar or Bass?
    3) Should I get a Multi-effect pedal AND a seperate Drum Machine?
    For reference, I am mostly a hobby player, but getting better and jamming with people more, and may be playing some gigs, eventually.
    Also, I'm kind of Tech-challenged, so tons of features actually work against a guy like me.
    I just want something to fool around with and have fun making sounds, and have a drum machine for working tempo.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Slackerprince

2. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    1) usually
    2) usually
    3) not really sure of what you're trying to accomplish but generally stand alone drum machines are far superior to the preprogrammed tracks included on multi-effects. a bit of learning and programming is required but it's pretty straight forward.

zoom, korg, digitech, boss, line6 - in no particular order - are the common bass multi's and really leave no need to consider guitar the very similar guitar oriented units. yamaha magicstomp seems popular for both.

keep in mind, most current multi's include some sort of amp modelling which you may or may not be interested in which is where the bass/guitar specific models come into consideration more.

maybe a metronome is all you need?

3. Some good help there.
    Basically, I am playing at home a lot, bringing up my skills, and a drum machine is very helpful. I am looking at the Alesis brand right now. They seem to get good reviews.
    The effects pedals are just for goofing-around and keeping things interesting.
    I am leaning towards seperate drum machine and effects multi-pedal.

S.

4. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    The Alesis are nice. Boss makes some nice units that sound pretty darn good with somewhat usable synths built in. The ZOOM drum machines sound very good as well.

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Myself, I use plenty of guitar effects pedals on my bass, some work better than others.
    I also own a BP 200, and while it is useful, I find a lot of the features, like the drum machine, lacking. One thing you can do is very the BPM to make the blues/jazz beat faster or slower.

You can try what I do, especially if you like to noodle around, and would like to play along with yourself. Get a Boss RC-2 Loop Station. It also has a built in drum beats (better than the BP 200 IMO) and lets you switch the to 3/4 time as well. Plus, you can play bass lines and then jam along with yourself!