Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rookie needs tuning help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RockinRookie, Apr 8, 2001.

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. apparently

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. obviously

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. absolutley

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. RockinRookie

RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    Ok, OK This is prolly gonna sound pretty weak but, heres the story.

Ive been playin a little Bass on my buddies Crestwood for a little over a month now, so keep in mind in very green and dont know squat bout this stuff. nonetheless ive fallen in love with playin and so i went and bought a Bass.

An Ibanez EDB690 Ergodyne, one I ordered from the Musicians friend.com, one small detail i had really never considered was the fact id have to tune the darn thing, :eek:

Now really i did realize id have to tune it but thought this would basically consist of turning the tuning machines untill the green light on the top of my amps chromatic tuner litup to the corresponding tone I wanted.---( i said this was gonna be weak before u started readin)

any help would be much appreciated,

Action--- the strings were very loose and the action basically came defaulted at its lowest setting it would go, I raised all the strings up a little. seems easy enuff to play still, but still have fret buzz, and one thing i have learned is that fret buzz--sucks. Not sure if the buzz is coming because of the action tho, surely the strings should not be higher then i already have them.

Neck--- has adjustable truss rod, i never touched it and hope i dont have too. one thing puzzles me here tho, they say that when you replace strings you should do one at a time, to avoid removing the string tension from the neck, yet when i got the bass, the strings were loose as hell. Whats UP?

Intonation---havent touched this either.

Pickups--- Now here is where im really lost, and also where i suspect i may be getting my fret buzz. Im assuming the pickups (humbucklers?????) are the rectangular black pieces(hey, you were new once too) in the center of the body. these also came loose as a vegas whore, i tightend them down a little, tho have no idea if i went to far, or still need to go further. in truth ive no idea if i lowered the pickup or just a cover over the pickup. these had a thin plastic piece on them and did go down when i tightend tho, so i assume they are the magnetic pickup in question.

I guess im looking for a standard sequence to setting my sound up. it actually sounds pretty good to me but it seems i have too muh fret buzz. mostly just at the top frets tho, like about 1-3.

any input is appreciated.

except for the guy who's gonna post-------" if ya dont know what the hell a pickup is ya might as well forget the whole damn thing!"

2. bassplr15

bassplr15

Apr 8, 2001
    Monahans
    ok heres what to do. On your bass strike the bottom srting your tuner should read it as E if it does not (if it just rattles turn it till it does not) tune it up. The next srting should be A it will be 5 frets up on the E (E is the thickest one). After that go 5 up again and tune till they match that Gives you D. Same process till you get G.
    Well there you go. Have fun and rember to tune daily (E-A-D-G).
    Travis Whiddon

3. OK here's the scoop on your fretbuzz. The strings came loose from the factory because they didn't want the strings to add additional force in case the neck was to be mishandled. This is how I ship basses and seems to make sense. Since your bass came from some place else - totally different in humidity, and climate - you'll notice that the neck probably changed in the few days after it's arrival. Perfectly normal, but it's only after it has had time to set itself do you start to mess with setup. I would bet that if you were to sight down the neck from the bridge end, you would see that the neck bows away from the strings. I see this as being the reason you can have a high action and still have buzzing from the frets. The neck can be straightened by turning the truss rod. You'll find the rod at the headstock end of the bass. What you find will be the end of a double steel rod that runs the length of your bass. By turning that rod in it's slot, you can create stress in the neck that can counter-act the forces bending the neck backwards. This is a difficult thing to describe but essentially you should only be turning 1/8 - 1/16 of a turn at each adjustment. After each adjustment you should let the neck rest before attempting further adjustments. When you have finished, your neck will be straight (with the strings under tension) and then you can go to setting the action and intonation.

Hope this helps

4. RockinRookie

RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    Truss rod adjustment eh? yeah, it does look like the neck goes away from the strings, and that would seem to make alot of sense.

maintenance book says there should be .3mm-.5mm clearance between the string and the 8th fret. (with the first fret capped and holding down the fret positon where the neck meets the body)

but how long should i give the neck to settle??

and then how long should i give it to settle between adjustments?

thanks alot for your help.

also thanks to travis, i dont quite understand your post there but thanks anyhow.

5. The neck will only take a couple of days to aclimate to it's new location. The adjustments will take about the same amount of time each time it's needed. Once you get the neck fairly straight, it'll stay that way. Then smaller adjustments might be needed to accomodate your particular taste in string height.

6. Welcome rockinrookie, is there a place were you can have it set up?

It is usually pretty cheap to have the bridge, and neck adjusted, at least were I am, usually the place down the street from me does it for free seeing that I am sending his kids through school.

This might be you best bet, because of your rookie status I am guessing that this also applies to doing a proper set up. At least this way you will know if the fret noise is the bass or the fact you need more practice.

Good luck

7. I would also suggest you have it professionally set-up. A well set-up bass will play and sound it's best. This will also give you a reference so you can perform your own adjustments in the future.

8. RockinRookie

RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks to all who left post.

It is appreciated.

there are a couple places i could go to have the bass setup. I think that is probabally what i should do for the neck.

but i really want to learn how to set the rest up myself so that i can keep the bass sounding its best.

again, thanks to all.

9. geez! why'd you mess with everything? basses bought new are usually set-up correctly, or as i'm told. do you have your strings an inch off the fret board or something? anyway, to take matters into your own hands....<a href="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html">click here..</a>

10. RockinRookie

RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    Im not sure if you actually read the post, but i appreciate the link all the same.