rookie problem

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by swatcatpettus, Dec 23, 2004.

1. swatcatpettus

Dec 23, 2004
    when i play, sometimes my strings hit up against the frets, creating a metal on metal sound, is there any technique to eleminate that when needed? :help:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How hard do you pluck? Try using a lighter touch, it improves tone and speed, and you won't tire as fast.
    Also check string action, you may have to raise the strings a little.
  3. I would check your neck relief as well, bridge saddle height, ect.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Try playing with more finese. If that doesn't work, then raise the saddle on your bridge. If that doesn't rectify the situation, then snap the neck.
  5. Just slow down and practice.

Heck I get that sometimes when im just kind of in my own world playing then ZIIIIIIIING. ouch! it like takes me back out of it.

but just practice, it will happen sometimes, nobody is perfect!
  6. Bassme

Dec 26, 2004
    the metal to metal sound is normal if thats what you want ... on lots of Primus songs Les Claypool used that metal to metal sound to ger the sound he wanted when slapping ... so the answer to your question YES it is normal. but if you dont want the metal to metal sound raise your strings or give it a smoother movement
  7. RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I've had a similar problem for years, and I think it's just from plucking the strings too hard. I have worked on developing a lighter touch which has helped.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Remember the 'straight fingers vs. curved fingers' thing too - it really makes a difference. If you initailly get the strings moving parallel to the fretboard - like from curving your fingers, so that you're pulling the string 'up toward the sky' - you'll tend to avoid the clack. If you WANT the clack, like I often do, then play - maybe even a little vigorously - with fairly straight fingers, so that you're initially pushing the string back against the frets. If you have nice, low action, you'll get a good, authoritive 'CLACK'! If you get any fret BUZZ, then you're action's too low, if you you ask me, but some guys even like the BUZZ!

If your action is really low (but still out of the 'buzz zone') you'll get this clack pretty much no matter how lightly you actuate the string, if you use straight fingers, on the other hand if you you pluck by moving the string parallel with the frets, you can almost always avoid the clack.

I have to practice the 'clackless pluck' more, myself. I tend to 'default to clack' to easily.

9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    roll off the treble a but too
  10. pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    Play with your left hand fingers closer to the frets, not in between, but more on top of the note you're playing.

11. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Some suggestions:

Use a notch filter or Parametric EQ to "notch out" the offending frequecy

Liter and more consistent plucking techinque

higher neck action

Heavier gauge strings

Good quality bass and preamp