1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rookie question about string impact on action heighth

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oldrookie, Aug 2, 2007.

1. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I picked up a Fullerton 5-string yesterday. Never had one before and never played one before. $55.00 in like new condition.

It still has the cheap strings from the factory and I think that is causing a problem that new strings might resolve. BUT, I am just learning the bass and am sure I don't know enough to be certain...so let me ask the experts.

The B-string is set substantially higher than the EADG strings. The seller said he had to set it up that way to avoid fret buzz. Would a stiffer set of strings permit me to lower the action on the strings while avoiding fret buzz?

I have a Brice "Beatle" bass with flatwounds on it and I really prefer the feel of those strings, but not sure I want to set both up to create essentially the same sound (does this concern even make sense? Rookie here, please remember that if this is a dumb question.) Should I stick with round wound, but stiffer to resolve the issues?

Thanks in advance.

Joel

2. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Stiffer strings might allow you to lower the action a little but I doubt you'd notice much difference. I'd say the reason you can't get the action any lower is because it's a $55 bass.

3. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    A distinct possibility. Still, the few reviews I can find of the Fullertons on TalkBass indicate that they are not that bad a bass. (I bought it for my daughter to learn on and to keep her off my semihollow body...it is a tad more fragile.)

4. The lower the pitch the slower and wider the vibration of the string. As a result, almost all low B strings will have higher action than an E string. Physics. That said, frequently a truss rod adjustment is the most common way to lower the action, and may require some compromise on the other strings.

5. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Okay...won't try to argue with physics! Action is a bit high on the other strings, but not real bad.
    Thanks.

6. ......That's one of the reasons it's hard to find a decent 5 string bass for cheap. :D

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I took it in to a local shop (Mom and Pop type.) Owner's son is really into bass and he worked on it for awhile. It is definitely better.

He thought it was a lot of bass for $50.00. I figure it made my youngest daughter happy and keeps her off my bass while learning.