rookie wattage question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zycro, Aug 2, 2004.

1. zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    how many watts would i need for a medium size bar etc.? we'll be playing classic rock.

i figure about 100 -200 watts, but does that change depending on the amp make?

2. i think it will matter on what your trying to run off of your watts? alittle more info into your gear would help.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as a general rule you should have 4 - 10 times the wattage of your guitar player, but that's another subject
    i would say 200 watts would be about the minimum for a med bar gig although some 150 watt amps do ok
    i would feel a lot more comfortable with about 400 watts or more (solid state), with a tube poweramp section 200 watts would be great
  4. zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    i play a charvel jackson bass. i am looking to buy a combo amp and thus the reason for the post is that i want to be sure i am buying an amp with enough wattage. those two items would be the only gear used.

5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Are you playing a 4 string or a 5 string (or a 4 tuned BEAD...)? If your lowest note is open E, you can probably get by with 200-300 watts just fine as long as your drummer's not a maniac and your guitarist doesn't insist on cranking his rig to the max to get "his" tone. Hard hitting drummers and loud guitarists are a problem. It's best for everybody to learn to play as quietly as possible; everything is clearer, you'll save your hearing, and you'll get a lot more gigs, too.

If you're playing a 5 string, those extra-low notes will soak up a LOT of wattage. I'd advise 600-800 watts; 300 would be an absolute bare minimum, and you're still going to be restricted to a tone that is more of a cutting midrange kind of thing instead of really thick and lush and pillowy. The thick/lush/pillowy thing, especially with a 5 string, takes a whole lot of wattage and some pretty specialized cabs.
  6. say you get a good combo with "large wattage" and then you need more could just buy a poweramp, hook up some cabs, and then line from the preamp, right??