1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Room Acoustics.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanez55, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    I practice in a room with a very high ceiling. I cant seem to get a good punchy midrange but when i take my rig outside i can get lots of mids. Does the acoustics of the room have something to do with the eq of my rig.

2. :D ...room acoustics has EVERYTHING to do with EQing your rig. Large rooms, hi ceilings, etc. tend to 'scoop out' the tone of a rig. Remember EQ means 'equalization'.... to make every room sound 'equal'. While some use equalization to change the sound of their rig, the purest usage of EQ is to keep the inherent sound of your rig the same in every room... cranking the mids a little more in boomy rooms, cranking the treble a touch in rooms with lot's of carpet or dense audiences, etc.

Don't be afraid to turn the knobs a little bit to keep your basic tone intact as you move from gig to gig.

That being said... some rooms just suck.. not much you can do!

K

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Yes +1 on all accounts.

Another thing to take into consideration is that when Micing cabinets (which KJung doesn't do too much) is that placing a microphone properly can take care of some of those problems off the bat.

For example, my church's room has 80' ft ceilings and it sounds very scoped. To make matters worse, our stage is hollow. I always get accused of having too much lows. My solution to this was to bring a bottom shy 2x10 in and mic the cab at an unusual 60 degree angle, pointed at the center of the cone. This configuration accentuates 500hz and above since those frequencies are most directional. This helps a bunch and sounds great when paired with my DI. The sound guy still sucks 6-8db off my bass at 100hz, but this gets the tone somewhat middy.

My next step is to wear in-ears so I can be happy with my tone, and make him EQ it for how he wants it to sound out front. I hate playing the room, but as a bass player especially we are forced to make these compromises a lot.

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    +1. Well said.

it could also be boominess in the room accentuating muddy bass frequencies and covering up the mids rather than the mids actually being sucked out of what you're hearing.

I think this is why my Basis M-2000 has only one parametric control, and that's to sweep the center freq. of the bass knob on the SS side: to help notch out the boom.

I have learned in my forays into home recording that most advise cutting eq rather than boosting as a rule. In recording, you don't want to accentuate little odds and ends in the mix when boosting. *But* I really have no opinion as to whether this transfers to what I ought to be doing with my rig.

Why not make some bass traps for your practice room to tighten up the sound? I got all into that kind of stuff here: www.homerecording.com/bbs

5. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Jul 20, 2006
    Mass
    thanks guys,

Standalone you had a really good point. i think my room is boomy. I cut out 80hz and boost 150,600 and 900 and it still sounds muddy im going to take it outside and see if it helps. I also just got a new cab so im tryin to reset it to how it was.

6. Your basic domestic room can also have resonant frequencies that make certain notes seem twice as loud as others, causing uneven tone depending on where on the fretboard you play. I think maybe turning your cabinet at an angle instead of having it directly facing a wall on the opposite side of the room might help alleviate this, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have any suggestions for counteracting this particular phenomenon?

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got a room acoustics program that can tell you what the problem frequencies are. What are the room dimensions? I'll punch them into the program for you and see what frequencies it spits out........

8. I've played in front of some pretty dense audiences.

Nothing I did with my E.Q. settings made them any smarter though :D