1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Room Humidifiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by standupright, Dec 10, 2006.

1. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    Anyone have any suggestions on standalone room humidifiers? Out here in Satan's Kitchen, humidity is hard to come by. I need to keep a good level in my study which is about 15'x20', 10 foot ceiling.

Thanks!
    --Paul Haley

2. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I suggest using a cool mist humidifier. I bought one at Sears a few years ago after going through several others. The brand name is Holmes. Just make sure to get a new filter each season to avoid mold issues.

I have a similar size room. It keeps the humidity at around 47% and it needs to be refilled about once every 12 to 18 hours depending on how often the heat goes on. If the heat is on only a bit, like in the spring or fall, it doesn't need to be refilled more than once every 3 or 4 days.

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i use a honeywell warm mist humidifier. it's digitally controlled, so i keep it set for 55%. my room is similar sized to yours and i havent had any cracks since starting to use it about 3 winters ago. i like it because it's automatic, and anytime it drops below 55% the humidifier kicks in. would anyone like to comment on cool mist versus warm mist? i'm wondering what the pros/cons are.

4. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    Thanks for the input!

--Paul Haley

5. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Reviving this thread to ask the same question. Anything new out there worth checking out?

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    We tried a warm mist unit and found it to need a lot of maintenance. We now have the larger version of this one:

Amazon.com - Sunbeam Cool Mist Humidifier - Single Room Humidifiers

It's important to use the water treatment additive (http://www.amazon.com/BestAir-3BT-6..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0BK16JDFF8GTPC218VS0) to get long filter life. The label warnings are on a nuclear waste level, but if you handle it like you would plain old household bleach, you'll be fine.

I also subscribed to a two-filter-a-month order from amazon; it saved a good bit of money, and got a good stock for future use. I try to keep the humidity at 35-40% so the bass is happy, but doesn't get so much of a shock when it goes out.