root fifth/ Motown stuff on Dingwall bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Sep 20, 2016.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I am interested in Dingwall basses based on their tone and playability (from what I' mtold). However, don't the fanned frets prevent good intonationpalying root fifth lines/pivoting i.e. jamerson stuff.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't see why fanned frets would prevent playing that kind of music at all. I most certainly don't see how they would give you intonation issues (if anything, intonation is improved). Unless you mean in a fretless situation where you'll have to rebuild the muscle memory for where the notes are. Even then, I don't see it as preventing, just something you'd have to work on for a bit.

As with anything else, go out and give one a whirl and see if *you* like it.

Fat Steve and Quantized Harmonic like this.
  3. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I'm a Jamerson nut and former Dingwall owner. No problems playing any Motown material whatsoever. This was on fretted, of course.

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Jameson could have played with perfect pitch on an unlined fretless fanned fret bass with his eyes closed and a baseball glove on his left hand.

Fred312b, Axstar, Gearhead17 and 14 others like this.
  5. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    thanks for the replies... I just was thinking there would be difficulty barring across strings due to the frets being un-parralell

6. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Believe it or not, it's not a problem at all to do those sorts of pinky barres on a Dingwall. The fanned frets might make it look like it might be, but it's not because your fingers don't need to be perfectly aligned with the frets to make it work. The extended length of the neck will require some extra reach, though, and the upper register playing asks for some adaptation as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    In some positions it might be a little easier, or harder, or just the same. The fan changes direction from the nut toward the bridge. In general, it shouldn't be an issue for most positions.

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Barring in the first five frets would have your index finger pointing toward the upper left.

Barring in the upper registers would have your index finger pointing toward your face.

In the center the frets will be practically the same as a regular bass.

Brice HXB2-406X 3235 Nat Quilt.jpg
    Yes.
    I know.
    This is NOT a Dingwall

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  9. Creede

Creede

May 15, 2015
    I've messed around with a Dingwall. It is really not hard at all to move around on it, so don't worry. You might have trouble with incredibly complex stuff at first, but not any root-fifth stuff.

10. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    You can read all the comments from people that have played Dingwalls but I can tell you that it only takes a few measures to feel comfortable with the fanned frets. No big deal!

11. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I don't own a fanned fret, but I've played a few.

Surprisingly (until you think about it), it's far MORE comfortable to play, because the fanning follows the natural line of your left wrist. You don't have to reach, and then point your fingers back towards your body - the fanning creates a great angle for your fretting hand.

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I realize OP is actually asking about fanned frets. But, I must say that this is the first time I have read a reference to JJ's playing as being "root fifth lines.":thumbsdown:

13. Lowness

Lowness Inactive

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    Makes absolutely no difference.

14. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    I think he means root-fifth and pivots as musical devices among many other ones - Jamerson did root-five-octave shapes and pivots all the time, but they usually happened in the space of only one or two beats before he went onto other things.

15. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    What is a pivot?

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    aka modulation - the "pivot" being the chord that is diatonic to both keys.

bucephylus likes this.
  17. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Ok, I understand that. Thanks. The "root fifth" reference still sounds off; but whatever. Neither have diddly to do with fanned frets.

Selta likes this.
  18. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had a Dingwall AB1 for a while. In upper registers I found some chordal stuff to be daunting at first, but overall you adapt super fast. I'm a little guy so I had a hard time adjusting to the reach to the lowest notes, and never quite got comfortable with palm-muting down by the bridge. Otherwise, the kind of thing you describe was no problem, and damn do they sound good.

19. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Well I did play Motown stuff and even palm mutes on my Super J with no issues whatsoever, not sure I understand why this style of music should pose an issue over others ? Honestly it does not make a huge difference, but in my 4 strings I like the tension on the E and the lower tension on the G. Try one dude ! :bassist:

20. I didn't like playing the dingwall in the first position. Which jamerson used a lot.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021