root five octave or root octave fifth?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Herbal, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Herbal

Herbal

Jul 10, 2016
    England
    Just wondering which of these is more commonly used?

Also in this video he says one thing in the title and then plays both ways
    at 2:38

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    MalcolmAmos likes this.
  2. Not sure which is most common and it probably wouldn't matter much either way. The octave is the same note and the fifth is considered a neutral note that pretty much always seem to fit except against a chord with a flat fifth.

fretlessguy and Herbal like this.
  3. Love his bass. I'm thinking its one of those 50s classic vibe deals.

4. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Octave-fifth-root is a common rake technique that upright players use a lot. Being that Jamerson was originally an upright player, I'm sure he favored it. It's an ergonomic way to go from a high position back to first position, especially when using open strings.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    this is a rhetorical question.......it all depends on how the bass figure is constructed (groove) or what phrasing you are going for (soloing)....neither supercedes the other.......for ad-lib or improv comping, rt-5-8va probably gets the edge as its only marginally more natural

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Herbal likes this.
  6. On a four string it will depend on the position where you play that will make a difference. However, in the end it really doesn't matter more than how it sounds in the song. I have noticed on my fives I tend to do the root 5 thing cause I simply like hearing those lower notes (on which I also can also overdepend on them).

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021