Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roots in London????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ceeprm, Jan 15, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Did anybody see the roots at the jazz cafe in london on the 13th? It was bound to be one of the gigs of the year. I only just found out that they were playin otherwise I would have be down faster than a Japanese schoolgirl...... All of yous that live in London???

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Never heard of them!! :confused:

3. Never heard of them either; what're they like?:confused:

[OT] Another from Edinburgh...... woo!:D

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    speaking of London; i'm going to be there for 2 weeks in February on business. What's worth checking out music wise ?

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I also missed them - for y'all that don't know, The Roots are a cutting edge hiphop act that play everything live and have a seriously groovy rhythm section. I haven't heard the new album Phrenology yet but it's been reviewed extremely well. I have 'Things fall apart' and the first time I listened to it I was almost baffled by the way they mess with the time but after a while it all made sense.

Alex

P.S. Just found their website, theroots.com; very cool!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Hip-hop --- yeuchhh!! :D

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    There worth checking out even if you don't like
    hip-hop -bassist Hub and drummer Ahmir Thompson form one of my favourite rhythm sections- "the roots come alive" live album is a perfect example of how bass and drums should sound with the rhodes sittin nicely on top.......

Hello parrot from Edinburgh! hav you been playing anywhere lately?

8. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I dont live there but if I did I'd be at the Jazz Cafe every night.... well probably not but its worth a look.
    Christian McBride is makin an apperance at the end of Feb........

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, there's this unsigned brit-rock act called Gaudi playing a famous sh1t hole called The WaterRats on Friday 7th February... worth seeing! ;)

Do you mean what I think you mean? - That's a tad on the offensive side if it is, best watch that...

10. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Do you mean what I think you mean? - That's a tad on the offensive side if it is, best watch that... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah your right is should have read Essex girl....

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, that's better... just the ol' sexual refernces to scholl girls is a bit of flaky subject online.. know what i mean?!

12. Never heard of them???

Oh, you poor poor people.

God, I'm sorry, I didn't know.

P.S. Phrenology: Best Album of the past 2 years, easily.

13. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    The Roots probably aren't anything like the hip hop your thinking about. A great group IMHO, I have Things Fall Apart and I'm planning on getting Phrenology as soon as I find some money. They have a great rhythm section and some great grooves on many of the tracks. Give them a listen, you might be suprised!

14. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I love The Roots. If you ever get a chance to see them live, you must make every possible effort to do so. I was lucky enough to see them play at Avery Fischer Hall (home of the NY Philharmonic) in NYC with Talib Kweli, Jaguar, Pharoah Monch, and surprise guest Jay-Z. One of the best shows I've ever seen and the first hip hop act to ever play at Lincoln Center. Hub can really lay down a groove!

15. Bruce Lindfield

Coincidentally (?) there's a big Jazz/funk band that is based locally called : "Funkasaurus"!! :D

16. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Damn, I tried to get tickets for that show but it was sold out. Must have been great!

The Roots' show is much more like a soul revue than a typical hip-hop show. Lots of great call-and-response between the musicians and with the audience.

And yes, Hub is a monster bassist!

17. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    In fact theres a load of good music comming out of Philadelphia thers days- Jill Scott Roots Jazzyfatnasties- Musiq -D'Angelo -check out ww.okayplayer.com BTW the Jill Scott live was one of the beat gigs I ever seen- her band completely blew me away all of them are pretty unknown musicians and her live CD is definately worth a listen.....

18. I'll have to check 'em out now. Add Phrenology to my list of CDs to buy.

OT: What is Phrenology? Or is it a made up word?

ceeprm: We've not had anything for aaaaaages, but we *should* have one early Februaury. It just needs to be organised.

19. Phrenology is an old pseudo-science that believed that characters traits were located in different parts of the brain, and by readings the lumps in a person's head, you could determine what kind of peersonality he/she had.

20. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Yeah, there's some great music being made in Philly now! One of the best new groups is London's Floetry, who moved to Philly to work with Jazzy Jeff.

I used to go to the weekly "Black Lily" shows once in a while -- women's soul/hip-hop/R&B/etc night, sponsored by the JazzyFatNastees. Very cool-- usually some monster players in the bands.

If only PHL could get its rock scene in the same kind of shape, we'd be set!