Rope core strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, May 18, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've gotten some really useful advise as far as strings go from you folks at talkbass but I'm still researching a little, with the price of bass strings I think it wise. Anyway I was wondering if anyone can give some feedback on ropecore strings, good brand and also will these pick up through a magnetic p.u. ? I had some Labella chrome or nickle wound with nylon core but they did not pick up. Had to use bridge p.u. only, and I like combining the pick ups.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Ropecore is the generic term for stranded-steel core. There's no rope in there.
    If you want to use a magnetic pickup you'd better sticking to all-steel strings, being solid-core or rope-core. Nickel wound is even better with magnetic pickups because it has stronger magnetic properties than steel.
    Helicores are nickel wound, and so are Corellis '380 series, Pirastro Permanents and Super-Sensitive's Supreme.
    There may be others too.
    But full-steel strings like Spirocores or Thomastik Superflexibles will work good with a magnetic p.u. too.
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I must correct François here: Thomastik Superflexible are rope-core.

IMHO they have a somewhat warmer sound and more bow-friendly than Spirocore, also by Thomastik.
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    By "full-steel" I didn't mean "solid-core".
    I used that expression because I was talking of nickel wound strings, and then I listed the Thomastiks, which are made of steel only.

But you're right, the Superflexibles, (as the Spirocores), are rope-core strings, although the way the core is threaded is different in the Spicorores.