Rosce Beck V questions (after searching... )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mgmadian, Oct 17, 2003.

1. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    After reading about 30 posts on Roscoe Beck V's, I've a few questions:

1. What do the mini-toggle switches really do? I've heard (and read) that they individually switch each humbucker pickup between series, parallel, and single-coil, but the Fender website says they do the following for each humbucker:

Mini-Toggle Switch 1:
    Position 1 - Front Coil
    Position 2 - Both Coils (probably in parallel)
    Position 3 - Rear Coil

Could one of you RB owners chime in and clarify this? This would be really easy to test: just cycle through each position of the mini-toggle, and then tap one of the polepieces within each pickup with a small screwdriver, and see if it makes a sound through your amp (gotta be plugged in). That is: with the mini-toggle in position 1 (which the Fender website sez should be one coil only), see if polepieces on both coils actually sound out when you tap them with a screwdriver.

2. When one of the mini-toggles is in position 1, is there any noise, specifically any single-coil hum? And in general, is there any noise on any settings?

3. Lastly, anybody ever put an onboard pre-amp in one of these things? Sacrilegious, I know, but just curious which one you used and how it fit in.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    1. The switches are definitely series/single/parallel selectors for each pickup

2. There is noise if you have only one of the pups on single coil setting. If both are on single coil, there is no hum. I haven't noticed any noise under any other circumstance.

3. No. I'm generally an active bass guy, but one of the main reasons I got the RB5 was to have a passive bass. The RB5 is the most versatile passive bass I've played.

I got the controls layout from bgavin's great reference site :
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks david... great .pdf also. I wonder if the Fender website is just plain wrong (likely), or if they possibly changed the control configuration recently. I'm guessing the webmaster for probably got the wrong info handed to him.
  4. I don't know if it's a good idea to try to fix something that ain't broke. I bought my second RB5 today just in case they get scarce around here. It's about the only bass that I better keep two of.

They both feel and sound pretty much the same. One is a teal and the other a shoreline gold.

The pickups are fairly loud stock and there is lot's of combinations of sounds with the knobs and those three switches. I leave everything in the middle and turn up my amp.