1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Roscoe 3-ban VS. 2-ban EQ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 11Bravo, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Thinking about trading my lg-3005 with a bartolini 3 ban eq and upgraded quilt top for a lg-3005 with a bartolini 2-ban eq and no quilt top in high gloss wine stain finish with rare spalted brazilian rosewood fret boardand a style bridge(wilkinson) Plus a Dean edge 6.

So my question is
    Will the sound of the 2 roscoes be completely diffrent because of the eq?(I love the tone of my LG)Will the sweepable mids make a BIG Diff.

And do you think this is a good deal,I really want a 6 string but love the roscoe.So I found this deal.

What do you think.

Help Me out!

2. Do you use the sweepable mids?

Just set your present Roscoe with the mids at detent and you've essentially got a two band EQ.

3. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Yea I use it but I have it at about 25%.

4. I have a 3006 with the Bart 3 band, and a 5006 with the old Bart 2 band and the Wilkinson bridge ( and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard). The 5006 sounds more "vintage", with good mids and highs, but not quite the low end of the newer 3 bands. It may be the fact that it's a neckthru, or that the pre is the older TCT unit. On mine ( though I'm not sure about the 5 string bridge), the Wilkinson bridge has a slightly wider string spacing. Hope this helps.

5. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't think it's quite that simple. On a Bart 2 band pre, the freq. range varied by the bass and treble controls is different than the bass and treble controls on a Bart 3 band pre.
    The first Roscoe LG3005 that I owned had the Bart 2 band and it was very limited. I sent it to Roscoe and had it modified to the Bart 3 band. The 3 band pre is a more versatile sounding pre.

6. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Don't do eet, man.

7. From what I recall about the Bartolini pre's and the specs I just read, the NTBT 2 band and the NTMB 3 band both have identical treble (6k) and bass (30Hz) corner frequencies. The only difference between the two is the addition of the mid control in the NTMB. And of course, when you have control over your mid frequencies you have a more versatile preamp.

8. The Bartolini preamps used in Roscoes are not your off the shelf preamps. The frequencies are different, so the treble and bass frequencies may be different on the two band and three band preamps.

9. The pickups are custom Bartolini's, but to my knowledge all of the preamps he offers are stock from the manufacturers. The only exception I can think of is he may alter the selectable mid frequencies a bit since on the Bartolini, as I recall, its just a matter of switching capacitors. Do you have any written specs from Roscoe?

10. I do not have any written specs from Roscoe; I live about 3 hours away, so I went and visited them a while ago when I was deciding what I wanted in my bass. Unless I misunderstood Gard, he said both the preamp and pickups were designed specifically for a Roscoe basses, and unavailable to the public.

11. The pickups are indeed custom wound to our specs, but I believe that ddnidd1 is correct that our Bart pre's are "standard" Bart pre's. I know the DEMETER is a customized pre....maybe that caused the confusion?

I'll be able to comment with more accuracy tomorrow, when I'm in the shop.

12. That must have been it. Sorry for the confusion ddnidd1/normajean12.

Gard you got a PM

Dave

13. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't doubt that the center freq's are the same on the 2-band verses the 3-band pre's but I would think that Bart would at least change the bandwidth of each control so as to not overlap freq's severely. IMO the advantage to the mid control is that you can more fine tune the mid freq's that you desire to boost or cut (without altering the other freq's).

14. The treble, bass and mid frequencies don't come anywhere near overlapping each other.

Also, the treble and bass controls are not the same as the mid control. The mid control has a selectable center frequency and a fixed Q or bandwidth. The treble and bass do not have center frequencies. They have corner frequencies and do not have a 'bandwidth setting'. They are essentially high pass/low pass filters. Its one thing to 'think' Bartolini would change something and its another to prove it. There's no mention I can find of a difference between the 2 and the 3 other than the addition of a mid control.

While the mid frequencies are designed by Bartolini to be user adjustable by changing components, the treble and bass circuits are not accessible. Changing the treble and bass characteristics would require Roscoe ordering special production runs from Bartolini which would be extremely expensive. Since Bartolini doesn't mention a difference between the 2 and 3 and unless Roscoe has specs emphasizing the use of proprietary corner frequencies as a selling point, it's safe to say the preamps are stock Bartolini's.

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I really don't think I'd do that. I'd listen to Jome77. Joe usually gets the description of the Roscoe PUPs and preamps down perfectly.

16. If you want a 6er, Id just save up for one. But thats just my opinion.

17. I didn't notice that Gard had already posted on this thread. End of discussion.

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    One way to approach the deal is that you'd be getting a 6er that you want, you'd still have a Roscoe 5, and it would probably only cost a few hundred $ to have Roscoe upgrade the 2-band to a 3. Do you think that you'll love this 3005 as much as your current one, if you were to upgrade the pre? If not, you may be better off waiting to find a good deal on a used 6er later. I've moved just about all my playing to a 5 and 6 now, but my Roscoe LG3000 is still my absolute favorite bass. It will never go anywhere.

19. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    If the main difference between the 3005's is the pre and really you want a 6, I'd say go for it. Changing out the pre is an easy and affordable upgrade. If you question the wood combinations and the effect that has on the overall sound (and playability), I'd pass.