Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe 3 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yawnsie, Feb 16, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've just been looking at Dude's pics from the NAMM, and saw this rather peculiar bass; (Hope you don't mind me doing this, Dude! :))

[​IMG]

I was wondering, how would this be tuned, and why would you want to use a three string bass anyway?

2. I would imagine that bass would be tuned E-A-D. At least, that's how Tony Levin tuned his 3-string Music Man.
    As for why you'd want to play one, you'd have to ask the owner. I like 4 strings.. no more, but definitely no less.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gotta be E-A-D, I'm guessin'. All I know is: if it's a Roscoe, it's probably killer!

4. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Email Roscoe about it! I know they were/are in the process of making a three string for Kim Stone.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    really? i wonder why?

6. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah, i do too! Maybe hes trying experimental tunings, or something...but im still not sure why THREE strings! Roscoe is getting more and more experimental though, just check out the hollowbody fretless they made for Brad Houser!

Hey Dude, you out there?

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

This from the guy who said a few years ago, "I always heard more harmony than you can get with 4 strings." ???? (Not doubting you Jimmy, just weirded me out he would say that and have 3-string made).

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Is that like a spare tire for one of JT's Conklins?

Mike

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Actually for many metal players... that would be enough. Gosh I remember the day that Nikki Six looked way down and found that A string... You know it wasn't long after that he discovered the D... Who knows, by now he might have found the G??? On the other hand, if he hasn't... He might order ten of these basses in ten shades of black.

10. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah, i found it weird too! But, check it out on Roscoes website. They talk a tiny bit about it (basically just mentioned that its his). But dont ask me!