Roscoe 6 String Transition/Journey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    if you decide you like using the high-c, but have a hard time dealing with the neck width, you could always buy a second 5'er and string it E-C and then add a hipshot detuner. then you've got the highs and some of the lows as well.

2. I went from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7. As much as I play my 7 string, I'm finding I don't get a lot of high E use (tuned BEADGBE). I'm perhaps a tad too small for the neck and it feels big after a while. I seem to feel most at home on a 6 string.

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ^^^

Given that you have (or had) a pair of 5'ers, you could string the fretted E-C and the fretless B-G. I've thought about that in the past. Of course there is a strong argument to just go 6 and cover everything but depends on what clicks.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    another option would be taking a 5'ers and tuning it in fifths (CGDAE). i think people call that cello tuning. it would throw a lot of people off but could be an interesting approach to playing.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I thought about a pair of 5's B-G and E-C but for the tunes where I want the C I also want the B. 😕

I have also given "cello tuning" some thought. Not sure if I want to relearn everything that comes so naturally on a BEADGC or variation of that.

6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    with Roscoe's skills, you think it's possible to order a 6'er that fits somewhere inbetween his 5 and 6, nut width and string spacing wise?

7. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Then it is an easy decision - work the 6.

8. SteveC

Replaced the orange DR (they'll be for sale soon) strings with standard DR Hi Beams. Much better. I really like the sound of the Hi Beams on my fretted Roscoes. Feel more familiar, too.

Got the Apogee Jam but haven't had much time to experiment yet.

I play at church tomorrow. Not sure if I'm gonna take the 5 or 6 yet. Probably should take the 6 I suppose, see how it sounds and hope I don't mess up too much.

9. SteveC

10. I went from owning a hand full of 5 strings to using a 7 for everything other than fretless. It took me about a month of casual practicing(once or twice a week for an hour or two a day) to get used to it. My 7 is setup with a high c and two lower strings below e, so the reach to the E and B is about the same as a 6. For me the big thing that helped was knowing the fretboard. If you know the notes on the "D" string, then it's not hard to figure out the high C just by thinking about octave relationships.

11. SteveC

Yesterday it felt not so comfy. Today it felt almost as comfy as my 5 string. I suppose that will be the case for a while. Maybe I'll use it tomorrow at church.

12. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    You should put your 5'er away.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I got my first 6 string, and put away my other basses. I ended up playing 6 exclusively for over 10 years. Put the 5 away for a while.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's just that simple.

15. SteveC

I suppose...I was really starting to make a connection with my Koa 5 string. Maybe it wasn't a wise decision.

16. If you want to finally stop the churn, you need to put the 5 away and play the 6 for 6 months if you actually want to find out if it is for you. Again, no interest in a 6 myself (been there, done that), and the extra neck width and the 'feel' of that C string never appealed to me, and since I don't chord or do a lot of upper register solo work, it really didn't make much sense for me. Obviously others love the 6.

Relax and play it for 6 months. There is no way that you will have a true feel for that bass in a week or two. I found moving to the 6 (when I played one for about a year) was a difficult path (at least for me), and finally found that the downsides of the combination of larger neck size combined, in my case, with narrower string spacing) and again, the tonality and feel of the C string, resulted in me being VERY comfortable in never thinking about a 6 string again.

And, the good news about the Roscoe basses is that they are very consistent... you can always get another 5 down the road that will sound very similar (especially if you go with the stock Bart guts, that kind of overwhelm subtle differences in wood, etc.). For whatever reason, Roscoe's don't seem to hold their value quite as well as other high end basses, and the used deals are very good.

17. SteveC

I thought I had stopped the churn with the pair of 5's until I talked myself into trying a 6 one more time - especially when this one came up for sale. 😍🎸

I know it probably needs more time. I did spend a couple months on one last summer and I just couldn't seem to get my hand around that neck. This is a custom and that was a standard so the neck is different, a little more comfortable.

This bass has an amazing sounding C string so that isn't an issue like it can be with other basses.

I'll keep working on it. Right now I plan to hold on to my 5 as there seems to be no interest in it anyway.

This is why I started this thread. It may or may not help me keep it, but hopefully I'll make an informed decision this time. Either I go 6 or I stay 5. Similar to when I played 4 for a year. I decided I'm at least a 5 string guy.

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I started on a 5 string bass and have always felt the most comfortable on them. The bass I started on had a 1 3/4 nut width and 17.5 mm spacing. Over the years I've had a number of basses and I eventually figured out I was more comfortable on a narrower neck and spacing because it was what I was used to. The problem with that is I did not realize it until this past year when I ordered a Valenti from Nino. He asked me what size nut I wanted and told me Fender was 1 7/8s. I have had Fenders before so I went with it as well as 19mm spacing. I got the bass in and while it was everything I wanted I just felt like the neck was a reach for me. I had been playing MusicMan Stingray's up into that point. I sold the Valenti not long after I got it and ordered an SR5 PDN. Got the SR5 in and new tonally I missed the Valenti. I love a 5 string passive J. I bought the Valenti back and I only used it for a while. My hands now loves the wider neck and spacing and the last time I played a Stingray 5 it felt a bit cramped (doable, but cramped).

My point in writing all this is to say give yourself time. Muscles adjust and you can end up really liking something if you give it a chance. I myself never thought that string spacing/neck width made a difference but when I looked back at basses I flipped the basses with wider spacing/necks always seemed to get flipped faster. Now the Valenti is my go to and I am glad I got it back.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

This, too. I will tell you that bass took the longest of any bass to "find." By that I mean, for me to find it's true voice. There's a *lot* of tone in her, and the sweet spot was sort of elusive to me at first. I really, really liked it after about 6 months - but it took me that long to really learn where that bass sings. Hang on to her, she's a very powerful bass.

20. SteveC

It took me a couple months to "find" my Koa 5 as well. I understand that. I actually love the voice right now.

I'm just having an issue with playing at all these days. I have no gig but church, which is fine but not a challenge. I have no time to practice at all. Even just to do simple recordings or anything. I'm just really frustrated right now at what to do - not just with a bass but my bass playing in general.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021