Roscoe 6 String Transition/Journey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 26, 2013.

1. My advice? Don't put too much thought into the bass when you are playing it. Just enjoy it. I bet if more players would do this, it'd calm down the GAS epidemic, big time.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was happy with my stuff until I got online and discovered there's more to play than Fender, Squier, Schecter and Yamaha.

I can be happy with and play any bass. Do I need a $2,500 bass to play at church. Always my struggle - even when my wife says to keep them/it.

3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I tend to think the best way to commit to 6 is to put your others away; back in their cases and under beds. That worked for me and fretless, it will work for you and the 6. And a Roscoe 6 is a superb 6, just an absolutely outstanding instrument.

And ignore the price tag as completely as you can - once you've got it is just a bass, it isn't an 'x amount of dollars bass'. That NEVER leads you to happiness IMHO. Disassociate the bass with its price and you will be much freer to play and enjoy it.

4. SteveC

Yes, it certainly is.

Probably some sage advice there.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Steve, it seems that you love drama. You like Roscoe basses, and you want to get into a six. Just put your fives away and play your six. Do you honestly think you are the only guy with very little time to play? I started taking lessons again in May, and I often play between midnight and two in the morning only to get up for work at five.

It sounds to me like you are on another guilt trip, and you will do something drastic like sell your basses only to be depressed about what you had once they are gone.

6. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    1. if you are gainfully employed and paying the bills with little/no debt, don't sell any basses.

2. put the 5 away and play nothing but 6 for 6 months.

3. God doesn't care how much your bass costs - on either end of the spectrum.

7. SteveC

I had a chance to practice for about 30 minutes today. I like the bass but 30 minutes isn't much time. I don't know how people do it. I must be shi$&y at time/kid/wife management.

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    when it comes to having a family, everything else tends to take the back seat. enjoy whatever time you do get to play your basses. they are made to be played, not give you a guilt trip for owning them.

9. Or really good at it and have your priorities in order.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is probably closer to the truth. I know you read and have knowledge of theory. I assume you know the fingerboard well also. You are not at the point where you have to spend hours memorizing the basics. Thirty minutes well organized is plenty of time to make progress.

11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I bet he cares. He's probably a gear snob. Bet he's got a badass rig.:p

12. SteveC

I do think I have my priorities in order. Thanks, Doc. 😷 It's hard. I'd like to gig, but I promised myself and Robin that family would always come first.

It's really not the 6 string part that is tough really. It's a Roscoe. It's an amazing neck. The thing that might be a deal breaker is the weight. 10.8 is a little heavy. My Koa bass is 7.8 so...

13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    If you play seated, kind of a non-issue. I recently got a pair of 5-strings and at first was bummed as they came in at 10.1 and 10.6 lbs. My knee-jerk reaction was to flip them. Instead, I have been working with them and looking at how/where I play. For most of the gigs I do with these instruments I end up sitting. And even for the ones where I'm standing, it isn't as big of an issue as I mentally made it. Wed we did a 90 min set and I swapped back and forth between the two - no issues. And they sound sick - especially the fretted that is 10.6 lbs. Massive tone.

There is no perfect instrument. Most good basses can work if we want them to, and won't work if we don't want them to.

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm gonna sig that. :D

15. SteveC

I play standing. Gonna try it on Wednesday at church and see how it feels.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nostatic, you just served bass flippers a big plate of shut the hell up!

Steve stop looking for a reason to sell the bass!

17. SteveC

It was a big plate of shut up, but you know I don't need a logical reason to sell. 😛

We'll see how it goes on Wednesday.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nostatic could just well been talking to me and said the same thing.

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    To the majority of tb! Myself included.

20. SteveC

Todd has good posts. All of you do. I appreciate the advice. I think even though it has only been a short time, I have decided to part with this bass.

I think I could adapt in time, but the cost/benefit isn't there to me. I will never be in a group where I will really make use of this bass. I don't have time to do a lot of recording or anything at home right now. The bass is heavy, and the neck is wide.

While this is an amazing bass, I feel more of a connection with the bass I spec'd (with the top I picked out personally when in NC) and think that is the bass I want to make "the one" for me. I probably knew that all along but you know me. It's an amazing bass with that "Roscoe" tone that will serve me well at church.

Let the drink buying begin...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021