Roscoe 6 String Transition/Journey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Gard said that the DR Sunbeams are very close to their special stock strings. I like the Hi Beams on my ash body soap bar 5 string bass, but they don't seem to be doing it for me on my ash body JJ.

My fret ends are sprouting quite a bit from the very dry and cold winter. I'm thinking I may just send it to Keith and have him do a fret dressing, restring and set up for me. Get it back to "factory" specs. Who knows what happened to it while it was out of my hands and at a Guitar Center. :eek:

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Keith just dressed the frets on both of my Roscoe basses. I need to have to the old Century Standard IV done again. It may be getting time to refret. When I do get it refretted I will have Keith cut the tangs back like you do on a bound neck so I will never have to deal with it again.

3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    I just tried to hop into 6 string but I made the mistake of also trying to get into 35in scale at the same time, wishing I spec'ed out a 34 inch 6er instead of trying to force it based on what the local shop had in stock.

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    it ended up on youtube

5. SteveC

I saw that video. Boost. Contour. At least he got the blend right.

6. SteveC

2 more nights of "Footloose" and it's going well. The bass sounds amazing. I'm getting more comfortable every time I play. I still play the wrong string a couple times a night in the "heat of battle" but I recover quickly.

7. SteveC

Musical is done. Brought home some Bach and Dotzauer studies to work on. The cello fingering messes me up a bit but it's great stuff to work the 6 string especially.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yeah, too bad he doesn't understand how the controls work.

9. SteveC

I don't know how people find time to practice. It's almost impossible when the kids are awake. By the time they're asleep and I do any stuff I need to I'm ready for bed. At least when I was doing the show I was getting time in on the bass. Not practice, but time.

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Kids get older - but time moves faster. Get them on a musical instrument and practice when they're practicing.

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    That's how I'm doing it.
    Fortunately, I have patience to compensate for my lack of time to practice. I've been using it exclusively since October. This weekend I pulled out my 34" Synapse and was instantly lost. Found my way again after a bit. Once I record a sound clip for someone it'll go back into hiding.

Since I don't have huge experience I suppose I have less to un-learn in adapting to a 35" 6-string. I've decided this is the instrument I want to commit to...

12. SteveC

So, I find that I can get around OK, but when I play on the upper strings - soloing over changes for example - I find that there is a lot of B and E string vibrating going on. I have a hard time muting. I play "floating thumb" style so when I'm playing the C and G string, there isn't anything to mute the B and E strings.

Suggestions?

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Try changing the angle of your picking hand wrist. Flatten it out so the heel of your hand is muting the B and E strings.

14. SteveC

I'll give it a try.

15. Haha that's my tactic: but I'm worried they'll scribble on my white falcon or pick the butterfly off my Monarch Deluxe (on order) when it arrives while I'm on my Roscoe.

16. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
  17. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    He plays really good.

18. SteveC

I'm amazed at how my left hand feels so at home. The neck on this feels better and plays faster than my 5 string. The right hand muting will take some time...

Love the tone of this bass though.

19. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'm the lucky guy that ended up with Jon's SKB 3006. It is a wonderful instrument but it weighs more than I wish it did.

I have 3 Roscoe 6 strings...one fretless and two fretted. The fretless has the usual Bartolini electronics, my SKB 3006 has Bartolini J/J pickups and electronics and the bass Jon had built has the usual Bartolini electronics but the pickups are slanted to give the C string more beef and the B string more definition.

All of these basses sound terrific and I have no trouble with the scale length or the neck width. I have small hands, however, I play upright bass a lot and my main bass is a 7/8 Wilfer that has a 42" string length.

I was inspired by my bass teacher to play 6 string. I am fortunate in that I can switch between 4,5 and 6 string basses and not have problems. It took me about an hour to adapt to my first 5 string. For some reason, it came easy and I am thankful for that.

I use my left hand to mute any strings higher than the one I am fretting and my right hand fingers to mute lower strings. It is pretty easy after you work on it for a while.

Chuck

20. nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    I have tried to add 6-string to my lineup a number of times. I think this time I may have succeeded but still doing the experiment. For me, being always on the edge of tendonitis, I've found that neck shape, scale length, and string spacing all factor in. At this point 34" scale, 16.5mm spacing is working ok, though I wish it was a bit wider. I know that 19mm spacing won't fly, and 17.5 is probably about right as my 5'er strung E-C is that setup.

The muting with the right hand I had to adopt as I do floating thumb and playing on the C-string the E will ring on my 5 if I don't mute. As Jon says, wrist angle is key. The other thing is that I find I'm playing more palm mute on all my instruments these days, and that is solves things as well - at least for that sound/technique.

In my case I am not willing to just go 6 as I have two 4-strings that I love to death, and for some of my bands that is the instrument that fits. But for two other situations, I find I really want extended range. Been using a D-tuner but then you lose symmetry on the fretboard.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021