Roscoe 6 String Transition/Journey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Jul 26, 2013.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

This is kind of what I'm trying to do. It's more like how I play on my 5 string.

2. SteveC

Fortunately, even with smaller hands, I don't think the scale length or spacing is an issue. Like I said, the neck/fingerboard actually feels smoother and faster on my 6 than my 5.

I need to find a good compromise in my right hand technique between what Chuck and Joe suggest. A combination of right and left hand, fingers and palms.

I still think about going "simple" with a 4, but then I get home and play these basses and I can't imagine playing a "plain old precision" bass. I should just buy that Century 5 PJ that Greg has to get my "old school" tone fix while keeping the Roscoe feel and quality. :D

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I play a 4 in situations where the bass parts were either written on a 4 (e.g. Steely Dan tunes) or an upright (most standards). For some of that exploring extended range is desirable, mostly on the jazz standards side. But the 4-banger really is at the heart of that music.

For other genres, the B-string, and to a lesser extent, the C-string, are ingrained into the approach and aesthetic. In those cases you are missing something with the 4, but you can still mostly cover the tune.

4. SteveC

The 5 string sure feels small after a few weeks of playing 99% 6 string. A 4 string would feel like a toothpick.

5. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Could be a matter of relative size. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs (and smallish hands, dammit).

My Roscoe SKB 6 is a challenge and more like work (at this point).
    My Roscoe LG3000 is like being on a vacation.

I still prefer the SKB over the LG for tone and playability

6. SteveC

The 5 was very comfy at church today.

7. SteveC

I'm not so sure it's a size thing - for me. It's a bit of a mute thing, a little bit of a C string timbre below the 12th fret thing and a little time needed to adjust vs. practicality thing.

8. I'd suggest not getting too caught up in the idea of playing across the strings when you're not soloing. As you suggested, the timbre of the C string down low just doesn't really lend itself to traditional bass lines.

9. SteveC

It's for sale. Got some decent advice and got real about my gigs, time and desire.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021