Roscoe and my little hands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Aug 9, 2004.

1. :meh: I've been playing my bass a little more regularly now and have noticed that the dern thing stretches my hand just a wee bit. That along with the 18mm string spacing makes it , well, hard to play for me. I love every other thing about it - sound, looks, versatility, the 'B' string - but I'm jut not quite able to reach the notes at the far end of the scale. Maybe I just need to practice, but in the mean time, what basses are out there with a comparable B and 34" scale, and 17 mm spacing? I'm thinking that the Spector basses would fit the bill - was there not a 34" CRFM-5 model? How 'bout them Canadian "F" basses, eh? How much difference is there between a 35" and a 34.5" and does anyone know the string spacing on them?

Thanks all you bass wizards.

Stay Low, BT
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    believe it or not, i find a considerable difference between 34.5 and 35 - never thought i would, but i do. Everyone ( i think) knows I love the F basses. Zons are a great 34 in scale with a great lo b.
    Nordstrands generally come in 34.5
    Sadowskys, I am pretty sure are 34 scale and they are very acclaimed. There are a few choices.... Fender?
    also, you CAN get a Roscoe with 34 in scale special ordered.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I too notice a difference between the 34.5 scale on an F Bass and the 35 scale on my Q5. And in the same respect, I can notice a difference between the F and my 34 scale Warwick.

The spacing on my BN6 is 19mm.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Maybe its cause I have rather large hands, but playing one of Skjold's 35" basses didnt feel like a stretch to me at all. Then again Ive been playing my Dingwall for about 4 months now or so (37" B). The stretch on it in the low end compared to my 34" Ibanez was a jump, but not terribly uncomfortable or anything. Maybe the jump is more noticable when its right at the extent of your reach right now, say at 34.5 and 35 is just a bit out of reach so it feels significant.
  5. Well, price is a huge consideration, so anything new is out (except maybe Fender) but I don't really dig Fender body styles. Can one get a good used Sonus for about $1200? I've seen a few, but mostly higher than that.

Ha! I was for one of those for a while until I realized I.m already having trouble with the 35". Very cool though. I remember the BP article where they descibed the B as "the voice of God". nuff said.

thanks for the input.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I am selling a beautiful MTD 535 because of the scale issue for me. It just works out better for me with the 34" scale basses.

My hoard includes: Sadowsky Vintage 5, Zon Custom 5 which are both a 34" scale and K-I-L-L-E-R B strings. And of course my BN5 which I don't find an issue with that extra 1/2". Both the Zon and the F Bass have a slightly tighter spacing than the standard(?) Fender spacing. It's not too tight to be an issue with me.

Adrian??? Keith will build an SKB3005 with a 34" scale? Has this been done before? I was thinking the other day that my bass GAS has finally subsided and now to hear that Keith is willing to build a 34" scale 5 string :confused:
  7. I saw somebody advertising a used 33" scale Roscoe LG3005 at one time. It might have been The Low End or somebody like that. So I guess he'll do custom scale lengths.
  8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have had 2 LG-3005's and I had to let them both go because the 35" scale caused me great difficulties physically. It really sucked for me because I think Keith builds some of the best, most beautiful instruments on the planet I went with a Ken Smith BSR5MW 34" and it really is an amazing bass. I also have a Zon Sonus custom 5 also34" and it's the easiest bass to play that I've ever owned. I still miss my Roscoes though. Unmistakable tone!!
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm gonna throw in Pedulla, 34" scale with one of the best sounding B's i've ever heard. Maybe the best.
  10. Which Pedulla? Man I used to Jones for an MVP. The Thunders are cool too, but I'm not much on the swooshy pickguard on the Raptures. I guess it's all in the ears though.
  11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I don't get it. I've got small hands, and have, or have owned most major brands, 34"-34 1/2"-35" and have never had a problem with any of them. The only issue I've ever had was the assymetrical neck on the 535 took some getting used to.

Now neck profile and weight, that's where I'm particular.
  12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm down to choosing either an Eshenbaugh 6 or a Roscoe 6 with a 34" scale length. I know that Keith will do it with a $300 upcharge. My biggest concern is that I know Keith will take a very long time to do anything out of the norm. I also wish that he still offered the old uncarved, flat top basses that he used to make. I like those better than the carved tops. I'm almost positive that I'll go with the Eshenbaugh but Roscoe's just sound so damn good!
  13. emjazz - check this out:

It's a 35" scale though.
  14. i didn't notice much of a difference from fret to fret on my 35" cirrus BXP compared to all the 34" instruments i've played. i have noticed that it hangs more to the left than my P copy, so the nut is much further from my body than on any other bass i've played. it can be a reach all the way out there, but it hasn't affected me too much.

i mention this because there was a thread a while back about how it's not as much about scale length as it is about where the bass hangs. there was a theory about the relation of the upper horn to the 12th fret. you might try searching for it.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, just like that!

I love those. Actually, I just got a chance to play one built by a guy while he worked for keith. It was a flat top SKB 6 string, 35" scale with EMG's and three controls as well. It was the best Roscoe that I've ever played. I like the flat top because it makes slapping much easier. The carving makes the body too far from the strings.
  16. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    MVP is the one i've played.
  17. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    What about the Music Man Stingray 5?