Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Bart Upgrade???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AaronWarren, Feb 10, 2005.

1. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    Does anyone know if there is a pickup/preamp upgrade (Duncan, EMG,Etc...) for the barts in the Roscoe LG? Or is there a preamp that will work well with the bart p/u's? Just wanted to know if anyone had any thought on this?...

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    skamaniac,
    You actually have several options. First, both 2-and and 3-band Bart pres are available as "factory" options. The Aguilar OBP-3 and Demeter preamps are also options. All three are excellent preamps and work extremely well to help create, and tweak, the "Roscoe sound". As for pickup options/upgrades, there aren't any "officially" available at this time, but that might be changing soon. However, there are aftermarket pickups that you can purchase that will fit the Bart soapbars. Hope that helps. :)

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

:eek: Care to elaborate Jay? :bassist:

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry....don't think it would be appropriate. I'll send you a PM.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    IIRC, I've seen a few Roscoes with SD Bassline p-ups and preamps. I'm alsmost positve that one was done at the factory by Keith, and the others may have been modified. I've also seen some earlier Roscoes equipped with EMGs. I love Barts, and I love Roscoes, but I think that Roscoes could even be better with some other electronics options.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd be willing to bet that a Roscoe with Villex pickups would be incredible.

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    It's not Villex... ;)

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, I hear that. On the other hand, there's more than one way to skin that particular cat, right? :D

I was actually thinking of installing a pair of Villex's on one of my F basses, an old Studio model that has the split pickups.

But yeah, I hear you. The Villex pickups work especially well with certain kinds of basses. The Jazz bass sound is incredible, simply amazing. :)

9. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Funny, I always thought the electronics had the most to do with the Roscoe sound. I'm convinced I would be completely happy if I could install a set of the Roscoe barts in my current bass. Or even just one in the neck position.

10. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    The bart pickups and preamps on Roscoe basses are top of the line pickups and preamps. The top of the line Duncan and EMG pickups will sound different and may sound "better" to some, but that will only be personal preference. There are some pickups that are handmade or custom made that may be more expensive, but people who seek those out usually have a particular sound they are looking for.

The problem here is always your specific knowledge of what you want to sound like. If you have an idea of what you want to sound like, people can give you advice on what luthers, woods, pickups, and preamps you can try.

There is a good thread here that will interest you:

Roscoe owners-modify your bass!

Just found another thread:

Roscoe with basslines????????????

If you search talkbass for bartolini emg aguilar demeter you will have enough reading for the entire weekend.

11. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    The body woods, the fretboard woods, the craftsmanship, and the position of the pickups also create the Roscoe sound.

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well you got my insterest up so I did a search on Villex. I've never heard of them but they do seem to be popping up quite a bit (Adler Guitars, Chapman Stick, Modulus, ...). One review stated that they are a variation of the Lace sensor design. Do they sound much like the Lace sensor p/u's?

13. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I hesitate a little here, because I don't want to hijack skamanic's thread, but with my ear directly to the neck, I could not hear anything in the acoustic sound of my LG-3005 that could account for the grand piano articulated growl on the lower notes, especially the B string. It wasn't the strings; I tried lots of different rounds and they all sounded that way. The woods, well, the only unique wood was Spanish cedar. The neck was very thin (I think Keith makes 3 different style necks), and it was appointed with the standard slanted Barts, the 3-band Bart pre, ebony fb, burl maple top, ivory nut.

I'm not in a position to try lots of different boutique basses, but I have some experience with different ones, and absolutely nothing had the tone of my Roscoe. Maybe I should be asking if there's someone here with EMGs or Basslines in has that same incredible low B. I'll go read the other two threads that were posted...

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Not really. You should probably get in touch with William, and find a local dealer.

http://www.villex.com/

15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't see any similarities with Lace Sensors. IMO, Villex's humbuckers (which are split coils) sound great. I have them in my new Linc Luthier. The neck pickup is so fat, it sounds like a vintage P-Bass. The bridge pickup, is not so fat, but has that punchy J pickup tone. The mid control is really effective, and I'm sure slappers will like to cut the mids, but I prefer to keep them boosted. Makes a very big difference in the tone. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong if you choose Villex, and William is way cool.

16. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    Would the Seymore Duncan STC-3 3-Band Preamp???? I put one of these in my warwick SSII and WATCH OUT!!! But I am not sure if it would sound good in a Roscoe??? Anyone??

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sorry if this question is too far off topic. Has anyone heard the Villex pickups with an active preamp?

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, what do you want to know?

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How well did it work? What was the preamp?

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    worked perfectly fine, there's nothing about villex pickups that mean they wouldn't work with a preamp.
    I've used them with aguilar, bart and emg preamps. Only wanted to use 2 band, since villex provides the mids.