Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe basses and why is the market full of used ones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Aug 27, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have long wanted to play a Roscoe along with a Warwick in the privacy of my home or gig. With my rig and my setup.

I know they are different beasts, but I seem to be leaning towards a Roscoe.

I play a Modulus Q5 as my main bass(Thanx Larry still got her). But was thinking about something wood to try. I like the low mid growl of warwicks in recordings but I love the vibe of Roscoe's.

Now back to my question in the subject line. It seems like I see a lot of Roscoes available in used ads. I wonder why?

I see Warwicks also, but I believe that is due to the round neck and the fact they are mass produced now.

Not sure where I m going with this.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    GAS Cycles. :D

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think there are alot of them in the market, but moreover I agree with the GAS cycles quote. It will be something else next month.

4. Odie, it's a great OPPORTUNITY to get a good price on a used Roscoe since there are so many for sale right now.

Get a 5 or a 6-string. :D

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can't go wrong with a Roscoe, period. Now is a perfect time to find a used one. I have one for sale but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if Keith would make one with 26 frets. Alas, it won't be done. It seems like a stupid request until you go for a note that isn't there. I did find out however that he will do other things like build a flat topped bass like the older style, build a ramp between the pickups and flatten the neck a bit. Roscoe's just sound giant and that's what it comes down to. Great basses!

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    So very True! :D

I will add though that Roscoe's have been a hot ticket for the last 1-2 years and Keith has stated that the sales are better now than ever (just put in an order and see how long the wait is now). More players playing Roscoes equals more used Roscoe's on the market.
    I've been playing Roscoe's for about 8 years. I purchased several new basses in that time but the Roscoes stay! It just doesn't get any better! :)

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I recently got the opportunity to play a Roscoe SKB3006 for an extended period of time, and I understand what all the buzz is about.

There will be one in my not too distant future, but I gotta save a bit more again since I just bought an F Bass BN6. I hate waiting for money to accumulate. :mad:

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It sounds like you're basing this thread on the assumption, or inference, that something must be wrong with a bass for it to come up for sale. We've had threads on this topic before (why so many used "X"'s on the market, etc.), and the bottom line is that it is an infinately complex issue. Are there really that many Roscoes up for sale, or it is just your perception? Even the reasons for selling a bass can be infinite.

While it is true that a portion of those Roscoes are up for sale because the owner might not like the bass anymore, it could be just as true that the owner liked the bass so much that s/he decided to get another one....maybe in a different color, fretted over fretless, 5-string instead of 6-string, etc. Maybe the owner needs quick cash for school or an emergency? Maybe the owner lost his/her job and has to sell music gear, despite the fact that the instrument might be beloved. Maybe the players musical tastes, or gig, has changed, or maybe EVERY kid on said player's block now has a Roscoe and s/he just has to be different and runs out to buy a Ritter! :D

We've covered this one extensively before (and are probably about to do it again! ;) ), but I think that looking at the issue from the point of view that something must be wrong is not the right way to go about it. Scepticism is healty, but it doesn't necessarily address the root cause. This tree is just too darn big for that! :smug:

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sitting at the computer working out the head of a tune with my SKB3006 Roscoe. I can guarentee that you'll find nothing wrong with a Roscoe bass. They're just amazing instruments. They play great, they sound enormous and they're beautiful to look at. If I had enough money I'd keep this bass for sure. Although, if I were at a day job right now I wouldn't be practicing. ;) Get a Roscoe, you'll see what the hubs all about.

10. What JPJ said but also one things..

Its called Being a Sheep..!!!

I see it alot on Ebay.co.uk

At the moment its the time of Status.... someone puts a bass on for sale in the high end price range and people start to bid on it..but low and behold another three or four are put up for auction at the same time.. people have gone.. o0o they fetch good money second hand i could get etc etc ... so on they go..

Our Ebay has been pretty quiet on the Musicman side... someones put a few up and bang the whole ebay is littered with Stingrays?...

Maybe a few people have put their Roscoes on there... and others have followed suit...

11. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    This might be true about 5 strings but not really the case if your looking for a 4 string. I just purchased a LG-3000 about two months ago and before that I looked for probably two months before finding the one I liked. Seems like the 4's are a lot harder to locate in the used market. BTW, I've owned two Roscoe's and now have an LG-3000 and I can't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

People usually don't buy 4 string Roscoes being that the B-string of Roscoes is usually a big preliminary draw, that's the most likely reason for lack of LG-3000s in the used-market.

As for people selling thier 5 and 6 string SKBs, well frankly some people are just stupid :mad:

J/K!!!! :hyper: :D
    Seriously though, what other people have said is true. I'd sell mine right now to get a different build of it if i could(and i'd rob a bank and buy 4 more if i knew i could get away with it :ninja: ). Frankly i'm sick of people at the label i work with giving me #$%$ for how it looks :scowl:

Roscoes are beasts of playability and tone, you shouldn't hesistate to buy one and try it out no matter what your taste. :bassist:

13. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned several WARWICKS and the ROSCOE LG 3005 blows them all out of the water!!

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I sold one of my Roscoe's because I had Keith make me two more! The first one became redundant, so it got sold. The buyer was a happy camper, he said "I wouldn't sell it back to you even you paid me twice as much". :D

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Roscoe's are very nice basses. They typically play great and the tone is unique. Not everyone will like them of course but that's true of any brand. The SKB3006 I just picked is equal to most any bass out there and fits in well with my Smith and Fodera.
    We're in an odd time. There are so many builders out there it's nearly impossible to choose. It would be great to be able to try one or two from everyone but it isn't poissible for most. What happens is GAS get's the better of us and we end up selling our own mothers to get the next big thing. If you look at the most recent up and coming builders as I have you will notice something very interesting. Take Nordstrand, by all accounts he makes and incredible product. If you look at his gallery page nearly every bass has now had multiple owners, same thing with Benavente. Once these guys have been around as long as Roscoe and turn out as many instruments a year you will see the same thing, tons of used Ben's and Nords. There have been plenty of used Smith's, Fodera's, Elrick's, Sadowsky's, etc. We bass players are a strange bunch.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I hope when I'm ready to buy another Roscoe, the used market will still be 'flooded' with them. I like saving money! :D

17. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    LOL, Funny Poon...

And DITTO to the replys above! :D

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree. It seems when a person can afford a $2000+ instrument they tend to collect or sell and trade as a means to try out some the cream of the crop.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yes and no. Yes when you see people selling something that is considered to be good and above many builders you do start say hmmm to yourself. I know how the GAS cycle works. I have been caught up into it myself. I can read the reviews and hear the opnions that paint the Roscoes as being great and wonderful basses. I can also see people trading or selling their Roscoes. It just sparks a curiosity since I am looking at getting a highend bass in the future. Roscoe being at the top of the list for me. I was just suprised when I decided to see what was available and I saw more than few really nice looking ones for sale.

By me starting this thread I did learn something. That being that there is a unique tone that the Roscoes have. This is something I never heard of before.

20. odie

odie Supporting Member

I know it is a wonderful thing being that we have so many great builders putting out the quality that they are. I am a blue collar guy who makes average to lower than average money. So I am not as lucky to be able to try more than one or two. I am also stuck in Southern Minnesota where the closest seller of high end basses is 100+ miles away. Plus I am not being the normal high end player, being the fact I am in a rock band who plays Tool, RHCP type stuff.

So having said that. I should mention I play a Modulus Q5 thru an Eden setup. I like the sound I have but it is a bit clanky. I play with a heavy hand but yet I like my action low. (bad combo I know). Also I do my own setups which is fairly amateur. Another problem is a decent setup man is 100+ miles away. That is why I like the graphite neck. It is set and really doesnt move. I know others will say a good bass rarely needs tweaking. But I have never owned a high end wood bass. Sting Ray and a Gibson Tobias probably doesnt cut it.

I like a cutting bass sound, but not hissy or clanky. That is why I mentioned the Warwicks in my opening post.