Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe basses: Have one? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noely71, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Does anybody own, or has anybody played a
    Roscoe? If so What did you think
    re: playability, action, tone, look, everything?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm willing to bet that's a beautiful bass you've got there, but can't really tell from the reflection! I've got an LG-3000 that I absolutely love. The workmanship is remarkable, the tone is phenominal, and the feel is perfect! I really want to find a 5er to experience that legendary Roscoe B! Keith told me my bass is appx. 10 years old, but it looks brand new! Keith Roscoe is a great guy to talk to, by the way.

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I own one, I love it. Best bass i'e ever had the chance to play.

Playability/Action: the neck is super fast and fits my hands like a glove, made the transition from 5 to 6 a breeze. The action came pretty low. it's the kind of action i like for playing live. (cant have it too low or i ge buzz from digging in a little more than usual)

Tone: HUGE

Look: see for yourself

[​IMG]

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own three, two sixers (fretted and fretless) and a seven. I like 'em! :cool:

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    My incredibly special Roscoe LG3005 fretted 5 string bass is sadly (for me) for sale (happy for you! See attachment). This particular Roscoe LG3005 (Born May of 2002) was ordered, spec'd and built specifically for Kim Stone of "The Rippingtons." It has a Swamp Ash body, Exhibition grade Quilted Maple top that is a real head turner, Maple neck with Purple Heart center strip, Ebony fret board, Estate Ivory Nut, Bartolini Soapbar Pickups, Aguilar 2-way OBP-1 18V Preamp, Embedded Dunlop Strap locks (done by Keith Roscoe at his shop) Roscoe Custom case. The tone is simply incredible and extremely versatile. This bass has legendary Roscoe Low B string performance. I simply can't afford to keep this most exceptional bass so I must let it go. Hopefully it will go to someone who will appreciate just how special this bass is. Keith Roscoe will personally verify the authenticity and the story behind this bass. I have spoken with him a few times. If interested, please drop me an email for more information and more Pics.

If this is not an appropriate forum to post basses for sale, please accept my apologies. I couldn't find a classified forum on TB.

6. Yes Roscoe5 there is a classified forum. Also try bassgear.com and harmony-central.com. Or if you like adventrue try ebay!

I just got a Roscoe about a month ago. The sad thing is I really haven't had much of a chance to play it yet. but I did collect the pictures I had and put it together in a web site.

www.visi.com/~bassman/roscoe.html

It's not much but it shows the instrument. Hope to add some sound clips some time.

The instrument is a beauty to behold. Mine is a little different, it's older, has a flat top, oil finish, and EMG active pickups mated to a passive electronic setup. Different is good!

Stay Low,
    Basstrader

7. Hey all,
    Once again, the Roscoe subcommittee chimes in with a hearty thumbs up.

I have a Roscoe SKB 3005 fretless that I absolutely love! Cocobolo top, Spanish Cedar body, diamondwood fingerboard. It's the whole package!!:bassist:

Keith is a nice guy. Short-term memory so you have to stay on him (courteously ;) ) Also, some occasional craftsmanship niggles come out of his shop, but you can't argue with the sound and feel!

8. i own a couple of roscoe 6 strings. IMO you can't go wrong if you're looking for a somewhat modern sounding bass with big, thick lows with a clear top end made by a top notch builder.

9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    FYI - My Roscoe LG3005 is sold. Sigh :-( Guess I'll have to change my sig huh?

10. And while we're at it, here's a pic of my Roscoe!

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have been fortunate enough to try a number of high end basses from time to time. I'm no great player but for my $0.02, I love the Roscoes. I've played Foderas, MTDs, Laklands, Zons, Warwicks, Modulus (or plural is it Moduli), Ken Smiths, Alembics and a Bee Bass. I haven't tried F Bass and the new Benevente. Out of the ones I've tried I love the MTDs, Foderas and Roscoes (not necessarily in that order).

I don't own a Roscoe but I am going to buy a Roscoe SKB-6 or an MTD 635 in the next few months. I prefer the SKB over the LG because I like the feel of a big piece of wood under me. Currently I'm leaning more to the Roscoe.

They play real well, sound great and look beautiful. You could say that about just about all the basses I mentioned. It's all personal preference.

Good luck!!!

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  13. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wow Adrian! That's some beautiful bass!

I can't wait anymore. I gotta get one.

14. I've played two different Roscoes (one 4 and one 5), and they were both great. The LG3000 had a Bart 3-band preamp, and it played VERY smoothly (as did the SKB3005). The SKB3005 had the Aguilar 3-band preamp, and it also played like a dream. The B was pretty solid as well. Actually, I really want a Roscoe, but I can't afford it right now.:( Here are pics of the two basses I've played:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both basses look much better in person.:cool: