Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 19, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    What do you guys think of these? i'm thinking of getting a 4 string.

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    smokin!!!

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent basses. Nice guy, too.

4. I have an LG-3005 by Roscoe. It sounds freakin' excellent. It has the Aguilar preamp, which is IMO the easiest onboard preamp to use, as long as you like what it does. I do--this bass is the least "modern sounding" of my modern boutique basses. It just seems to go naturally deeper than the others. That said, there are a couple of construction details on my bass that are disappointing. It looks like one of the frets was about to be slotted at the wrong angle, and the builder corrected it before too much damage was done. Also, the 12th fret inlay is a little bit sloppy. Both of these are cosmetic details (and I got mine used, so I don't know what it looked like new), but I don't see those kinds of mistakes on many other expensive basses. Here's a picture of mine:
    [​IMG]

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmmm...

well, funky, you bring up the point i questioned.

I'm looking to get a used yellow burl top LG-3000. Seems like the bridge might go at any time, which can be easily replaced and will be worked into the equation. BUT check out the truss rod. It's not center. its placed on the right closer to the knobs by a few degrees. and the purple strip on the back is the same. is this normal? Weird?

How much should i be buying this used guy for? also, what's your Aguilar onboard pre sound like? how does it compare to the Bart's in other Roscoes?

sweeet bass btw.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Got pics?

:D

7. Here's a used Roscoe for $1400 at Bass Palace.
    http://basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/1343
    I think the price is decent, but my five cost a little bit less than that used (doesn't have the oval inlays though).
    The Aguilar preamp is a really interesting thing--almost all of my other basses have three band preamps of some sort, with both boost and cut available. The Aguilar is two band and boost-only, which I thought would be no good. However, as somebody who doesn't like to mess with EQ live, I like the preamp quite a bit. The EQ seems to be centered at the right frequencies, but I can see how not having a mid control (let alone a sweepable mid) would be a disadvantage for some players. There's a lot less control, but there's also a lot less room to really screw up the EQ settings. I actually just bought another Aguilar to install in my new Warwick, so I like em pretty good. I read a lot of comments that said it's good for slappers, but I'm a fingerstyle player mostly and it works fine for me.

8. Bass Player had some issues with their test Roscoe in this review from a few years back:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/5string.shtml
    As a Roscoe owner, I will gladly live with a couple of cosmetic flaws in exchange for the excellent tone and feel of this bass.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Thanks for the info funky,

but have you a/b'ed the Bartolini preamp to the Aguilar? i cant decide which one. i'm more of a r/b, funk guy who likes a little lyrical playing now and then.

10. My LG-3005 is the only Roscoe I've ever played. I have the Bartolini preamp in my MTD 535 and my two Brubakers though.
    For me, the real beauty in the Aguilar preamp is its simplicity. I like the idea of turning up the bass knob when I need more bass, and turning up treble when I need more treble. The negative of it is that the bass and treble are set where they are, and if your idea of "bass" is different from Aguilar's, then you'll have to do the tone shaping from your amp. I think it sounds really great with the Roscoe.
    The Bartolini preamp, since it has both boost and cut, offers a lot more versatility for different playing situations. This preamp also sounds good, and it's fairly idiot-proof--even at extreme settings, it doesn't destroy your tone.
    I'm not really a knob tweaker in a live situation. I find a lot of different tones just from using the blend control. If I were, I think I'd appreciate the Bartolini a lot more.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Thanks, Funky...

(...hands him a slab of top sirloin...) :D

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My experience with two Roscoe's that I got my hands on before (never owned one, though) was similar to the above posts, that there were some pretty dissappointing problems with details. Uneven fretwork, messy glue joint, one had a knob that was drilled in crooked from the others, some really simple things not to mess up, on an otherwise high-end bass.

It just spooked me.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have seen the same issues on 2 of the Roscoes that I have played, although the last one that I played was on par with most of the other high end stuff.

14. Does Roscoe have a website? If so, what is it?

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  16. *hangs head in shame* Fool!

17. I own a Roscoe LG3000 lined fretless. Workmanship is excellent. I looked close and couldn't find any flaws. They do have some headstock dive, so I have to wear mine up pretty high to avoid that. Not so bad really, that's where I like the bass. Not heavy, nicely contoured small body. Mine has the 18volt Bartollini. Like others have said, I prefer to boost or cut at my discretion. Keith is great to deal with. Send him an email and you'll get an answer in a couple of hours max.

Hope this helps and good luck.

peace

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    From Bass Player's "Search for the Ultimate 5-string" :

>>>>
    FRANKLY, THE LG-3005 WE RECEIVED SUFFERED FROM construction problems that got several of its peers kicked out of our review. Why did we include it? Room-shaking tone, my friends--the great sound of the Roscoe's 35"-scale B string is undeniable.
    >>>>

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When Hambone and I went to Galaxy Music during my stay in Atlanta, there were a couple of Roscoes hanging on the wall. I had never tried those basses before and welcomed the opportunity. I'll agree with BP's opinion of them, however. There was one bass there that had this really ugly two tone fretboard wood, REAL ugly. I could have overlooked it, except that it had a price tag of over $2k. I didn't really care for the fretwork either. some of the frets felt really rough in a really bad way. It did get some points for its light weight and tone, but it's still substandard in too many ways for their asking price.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've played quite a few of these, and found them to be very well made. Matter of fact, if I hadn't been financially destitute last spring, I'd now be the proud and happy owner of an LG-3005 Quilted Maple top w/Amber stain fretless. Alas, it escaped before I had the money. :(

...finding my Zon Sonus Special fretless 5 has assuaged my grief. Particularly since I only have $700 in it! ;)