roscoe basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plantman, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Plantman

Feb 5, 2001
    was talking basses to a friend the other day and he mentioned roscoe basses. I never heard of them before so I went to thier web site and man are they beautiful!!! does anyone know if they play, feel and sound as good as they look? also whats the price range on a 4 or 5 string? I have no dealers anywhere close by. thanks.
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i welcome you to contaact me about Roscoe basses- dont want to spam the forum, so i wont go into detail- but i have owned 2 Roscoes and have one on the way as well as being a dealer- ill just say this,, best lo b ive found ... you cann email me at or visit the site - the link is below.. peace, Adrian
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sound? Like a P bass on steroids. My kinda bass. :D
  4. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I played a few 5-strings at BassNW when I went to Seattle in July. Their sound and playability were amazing. The fretless I played with a birdseye diamondwood fingerboard just blew me

The cost of new Roscoe 5-strings seems to be about $2400. I also saw some pretty nice used ones going for about $1600.

After playing those Roscoe basses in Seattle, I'm trying to find a way to get my own. Hmmm... Which pieces of gear should I sell???
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like Roscoe's very much. Take Adrian up on his email offer, BTW. He's the man if you're in the market. Anyway, I own three: 1999 SKB 3006 fretted with LED's, 2001 SKB 3007 with custom abolone inlay on the headstock and 2000 SKB 3006 fretless. See pics below. They have the best B strings I've heard. Truly monstrous. Keith is a nice cat, too. Very down to earth. His work speaks for itself.

6. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Here's a nice LG3005 I'm selling. Mahogany body with flame maple top, maple/purpleheart neck with rosewood board, 3-band EQ with selectable mid freq mid boost/cut, Roscoe case included, $1300 + shipping.
    Gantt Boswell
    (985) 892-0969
  7. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Oh, so thats the Roscoe 7er you have, boogiebass? Very very nice.

As always, Roscoes are just incredible, both fretted and fretless.
  8. my teacher has 3 of them and all of them sound and feel and look absolutely gorgeous. punchy as hell, awesome neck, comfortable body, just all around incredible.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. The added detail on that one re: the abalone inlay by my pal John DiMaggio at Bass Alone in San Diego really adds a nice aesthetic touch. John is a fine artist and does incredible work. He's also a killer bass player. Speaking of that 7, it was my first Roscoe and sounds the best of the three. It's the one I'm holding in the pic on the Roscoe webpage, in fact, and the one the blurb is about.
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Oh wow, just checked out the Roscoe site and saw you holding it. Very sweet bass. And the inlay is very exquisite, as well. So whens the next Roscoe coming your way? ;)
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm good for now but you never know...;)
  12. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Well, when you get sick of that stupid fretless 6er, just let me know and I'll take it off your hands because I'm such a good buddy.

13. Just bought a SKB 3005 with Barts with 3 band EQ and ebony board and it is the best b string and EASIEST neck to play. I'm new to 5 string ( a 4 string MM or Jazz neck guy with small hands) but this is so smooth. The neck profile, the string spacings and the TONE is perfect. It was more than I wanted to spend on a 5 string bass but worth it.
  14. Deep

May 8, 2002
    How is the string spacing on the Roscoe 5. I like a wide (normal 3/4") spacing and a wider neck at the last fret, the way Lakland and MTD are. Would Keith be able to do that if I wanted it ?
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yes, he can do that.

And Adrian isn't the only Roscoe dealer to be represhentin' here at TB (see my sig :D)

I don't own one myself, but I definitely will one day!
  16. Psycho Funk -- You have just made my day!

Keith is building ME an SKB 3005 fretless. Cocobolo top, Spanish Cedar body, unlined diamondwood fingerboard. Should be ready in October (hopefully no later).

My own experiences with Roscoes have always been favorable too.

I'm always wondering if I'm doing the right thing (5-string shootout in Bass Player) but comments like these on this thread ease the anxiety.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I owned a 5'er, and they are incredible. Put it this way: During the BP 5 String Shootout, they had one that had construction flaws that got other basses disqualified, but they included it anyway. Why? The tone and B string!
  18. Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    They're made in my city, Greensboro NC. They are incredible basses - not my cup of tea, but great none the less! The low-B is second to none, and on top of that, Keith is a great guy and a fine luthier.
  19. Boogiebass,
    What would you say is the difference sound-wise between the maple-top bass and the cocobolo-top bass? Which one is brighter? Which do you use more often and why?

Inquiring minds want to know.
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Same boat as you Gard. I WILL own one of those bad boys. They absolutely kill. Speakin of which, I might have to trek up there this weekend to cure(?) some GAS I've been having.