Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck 5 modifications

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heftibass, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Heftibass

Heftibass

Dec 23, 2005
    Anyone out there that has modified a Roscoe B. 5 with different pickups, or electronics??

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Bill Lawrence pups are one of the best things about the bass! They give it "that sound." It's hard to imagine a RB5 with any other pup in it. JMHO.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I once saw an RB5 that had the Lawrence pups replaced by Lane Poors. The LP pups were smaller, so a custom pickguard had to be made that surrounded both pups.

Note: this bass was found on eBay. That doesn't necessarily mean anything... but then again, it might. ;)

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. The most interesting RB5 mod I've seen was done by Bill Bolton. He replaced the 3-position selector switch with a rotary blend knob.

5. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Roscoe Beck himself now playing a Trans Red RB5 with maple neck. Looks very cool!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've seen one with I believe an OBP-1 or OBP-3 installed.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had an OBP-1 installed, and an all-pots bypass capability: pull up the volume knob to bypass the volume and passive tone pots. The OBP-1 was great, the bypass was subtle in the RB5. It's generally a mod I highly receommend, in other basses I've had it done to it makes a noticeable improvement/ openness to the tone, but in the RB5 the difference was slight.