Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck 5 or Precision Deluxe American 5 (Fender)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jake15, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'm looking into a 5 string and I love fenders and I love America, so what better than an americanFender.The only problem is I dont know which one.

2. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Roscoe Beck. It's the best bass they make.

3. The Roscoe Beck is a fine bass, but it all depends what youre looking for. The main difference is passive or active. Personally, I would get the Beck, it looked amazing.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The American Precision Deluxe blows away the Jazz 5 stringers, but the Roscoe is a little better, and a lot more versatile IMHO.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Dont they both have active etronics????

6. embellisher

The Beck is passive.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was throwing around getting a 5 and I played a bunch and the best 5 for the buck is the G&L2500 that is a sweet 5. The two 5's I liked the best was the Ernieball MM stingray5 and the G&L.
    JMHO

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try them both. The Roscoe Beck has a very substantial neck for a 5, and takes some getting used to. As far as fit and finish go, the RB and Precision Deluxe are pretty much even.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I gotta agree w/Funkster, the L-2500 blows away the Beck & the Deluxe P & J. If you're still wanting to get an Anreican Fender, That's what G&L is. The "L" is for Leo Fender & ALL G&L are made in the USA!!!

If that dosen't convince you, I like the Deluxe Jazz best out of the 3 Fender American 5 strings. :)

10. The Roscoe Beck is, IMHO, the best looking bass available, but the only way I could conceive buying it is if I tuned it to EADGC, or if they make a 4

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'll throw my vote in for the RB5... If/When I get a 5, this will be the one... Big ol' neck plays like a dream!

-robert

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got a RB5 and it is a fabulous 5 string. If you like passive tone then I think it's the ONLY 5 string to buy.I don't think Fender does active very well at all which is why I don't like either the Jazz or Precision Deluxe. If you MUST have active then G&L or Music Man will be better choices at that price point. But if you want vintage Fender tone with tons of flexibility and 5 string bottom the RB5 is the ticket.

13. embellisher

:confused:
    Nino, I don't understand your preference of the Jazz 5.

It has the floppiest B of the 3, and the neck isn't really much smaller than the Roscoe Beck.

Of course, everybody is entitled to their own tastes and opinions, that's why there are so many wonderfull basses to choose from.:)

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a Roscoe Beck V, and I played an American P Deluxe 4 last weekend. I prefer the RB5, but I was surprised by the tonal range, sound, and overall quality of the P. If you like active, the P Deluxe is a good bass to consider. I certainly wouldn't buy either one without trying them both.

15. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive got a RB-5 in dead mint condition with the sunburst finnish and all tags paperwork,case(also mint),etc they come with.Im selling it if your interested.

16. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Hey bernie,
    How much do u want for it and do u have any pics?

17. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I can let it go for 750+actual shipping.Im not setup tp post pics but i can send you some polaroids if you give me your address.

18. Hey, Jake,

FWIW, here's some pix of my sunburst RB5, which is dead mint like Bernie's, which might help give you an idea...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1378898&a=10394683&p=36608374

Use the "Next" button just above the pic to see a couple more shots...none of them really do it justice, but it gives you an idea :)

Hope this helps, Bernie!

Dan

19. The Beck has the best B string, then the G&L, then the Fender. Even trying every B string known to man does'nt make the Fender any better. The G&L is a bit better, but once again, not good enough for the price. The Beck is the undisputed king of those three, which is hardly suprising considering it had major input from one of the world's most respected players. The reason the Beck's B string is so much better, is because the pickups were specifically designed to have less magnetic pull on the B, also a different number of windings to stop the "warbling" effect on the B and E up in the upper frets, which is a problem with the Jazz bass pickups. Jazz basses and G&Ls merely made the four string pickup wider, without any thought to addressing the peculiar requirements of a B string. I have had both the Fender and the G&L and have, literally, tried nearly every brand of B string in an effort to improve them, to little avail. I have not owned a Beck, but have played one, and it beats the other two hands down.

20. Chuck L.

Chuck L.

Mar 14, 2001
    I just got a Fender Precision Amer. Deluxe V w/ maple and have owned a RB5 for 1 1/2 years. The RB5 has a better B string for sure. The P5 is easier to play though. Both are quality instruments but the P5's electronics can be noisy if used w/ certain amps. I use a SWR WM12 and got a lot of noise (especially when you boost the treble) and have found it sounds alot better using a Tech21 SansAmp directly into the return as well as being quieter.

BassPlayer was very accurate IMO in their reviews of both basses. They rated the RB5 as a tone machine w/ a "clunky" neck. Conversly they gave the P5 a 4.5 rating in playability but said the low end c thru d can be muddy (my words) and would need experimenting w/ different strings. I do like the sound of my P5 a lot.

I'm still in the tryout phase of my P5 and might end up returning it. When I got it the setup was very bad but once I got the neck and string height to factory specs it it really started coming alive.

One nice thing about the newer Fender necks w/ graphite thru body bridge is the amount of sustain and minimal dead spots. If I really listen I can pick them out but it's not like an average older fender where they jump in your face.