Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Roscoe Beck 5 Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey Guys,

Does Fender sell the Roscoe Beck 5 Pickups?

Thanks in advance,
    Nino

:bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like Smash said, I don't think so.

3. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Fender does sell the RB5 pickups, or at least they did from GC a few years back, as i bought them for a project that i never built. Not cheap, like $80 each. I do not believe Bill Lawrence sells these; they are not on his site.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think a company called Rio Grande makes a similar pickup.

You should also let me know why you're looking for some. :)

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, they do

6. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    The site shows a bass humbucker looking similar to Bill's. But has anyone heard this thing? Just 'cause it looks the same dont mean...

7. Bill Lawrence designed them, but that is the end of his involvement. I asked him about this during a phone conversation. The RB5 pickups are a brilliant design, for sure.

The RB5 are specifically designed to be a low output, vintage J sounding pickup. Roscoe Beck specifically wanted low output so they would match the output of his other basses without changing amp settings.

When I owned an RB5, I found the pickups to be very high quality. The switching controls are excellent.